2200 Performance Numbers

jramm

Purchased a new 2021 2200 with 200 SHO about a month ago and wanted to share some performance stats for insight and recommendations. I have about 16 hours on it at this point.

Ran today with 2 passengers, 35 gallons of fuel, 4 batteries, JP, TM, PP, canvas T-Top and gear. I believe the prop is SWS 21 x 14.5 (pic attached).

Max RPM was about 5100 with speed around 43 MPH on GPS.

4500 RPM = 35-37 MPH

3500 RPM = 25-27 MPH

Numbers based on trimmed out but barely jacked as I get engine alert frequently when running about 3500 RPM and jacked more than about 2 inches.

Definitely enjoying it but still getting familiar and looking to learn from others.

5FFFBB3E-AE43-4E19-A885-7C1086DC49EC.jpeg

C359E293-6A73-478C-9657-BFE5018FB339.jpeg

You are going to want to get your rpms up quite a bit. My boat started life as a 2200TRS WITH A 200 SHO.I have a t top as well.  I bought the boat used and it had a terrible prop on it. I switched to some mercury branded props. I got my rpms up around 5800 and was running around 50 to 51 mph. I was running the mercury Enertia in 19 pitch and a tempest plus in 21 pitch. 

On 9/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, HoneyB said:

You are going to want to get your rpms up quite a bit. My boat started life as a 2200TRS WITH A 200 SHO.I have a t top as well.  I bought the boat used and it had a terrible prop on it. I switched to some mercury branded props. I got my rpms up around 5800 and was running around 50 to 51 mph. I was running the mercury Enertia in 19 pitch and a tempest plus in 21 pitch. 

What was the “terrible” prop? 

On 9/5/2020 at 4:01 PM, jramm said:

Purchased a new 2021 2200 with 200 SHO about a month ago and wanted to share some performance stats for insight and recommendations. I have about 16 hours on it at this point.

Ran today with 2 passengers, 35 gallons of fuel, 4 batteries, JP, TM, PP, canvas T-Top and gear. I believe the prop is SWS 21 x 14.5 (pic attached).

Max RPM was about 5100 with speed around 43 MPH on GPS.

4500 RPM = 35-37 MPH

3500 RPM = 25-27 MPH

Numbers based on trimmed out but barely jacked as I get engine alert frequently when running about 3500 RPM and jacked more than about 2 inches.

Definitely enjoying it but still getting familiar and looking to learn from others.

5FFFBB3E-AE43-4E19-A885-7C1086DC49EC.jpeg

C359E293-6A73-478C-9657-BFE5018FB339.jpeg

Jramm,   HoneyB's  Prop advice on this is spot on. I have a 2012  2200 TRS with the 200 SHO. This setup can be a challange to prop correctly. HoneyB has done the work. If you want to improve your setup, Mercury Enertia in 19 pitch and a Tempest Plus in 21 pitch. I tried the PowerTech stuff and was not happy. I started with the Yamaha HS4 21. Great prop but way to much pitch. The 200 SHO is turned way down and struggles to make rpm. The right prop make all the difference and Yamaha does not seem to make one. Luckily Mercury Does!!! 

By the way Beautiful Sled !!!!!!

40 minutes ago, Smoak352 said:

Nice boat! Way too much pitch. What if you had 4 people and a full tank? You need to get to 5500 rpm with that light of a load. 

I would consider calling your dealer and asking if you can swap to a 20 or 19 pitch. 

Well ... Four people and about a half tank (no gear) topped out at at about 4800 😞

Planning to reach out to dealer this week and hopefully swap at my 20 hr check-in which is due soon.

Is it possible my poor prop performance is also the root cause of my overheat alarms? I was able to run wide open this past weekend without further issue, but never lifted more than an inch.

Thanks to everyone for all the insight!

4 minutes ago, jramm said:

Well ... Four people and about a half tank (no gear) topped out at at about 4800 😞

Planning to reach out to dealer this week and hopefully swap at my 20 hr check-in which is due soon.

Is it possible my poor prop performance is also the root cause of my overheat alarms? I was able to run wide open this past weekend without further issue, but never lifted more than an inch.

Thanks to everyone for all the insight!

I would see which mounting hole they used and compare to others on here that have the same hull and motor. I doubt the overheating has any correlation to the low rpms, but I have been wrong before. 

7 minutes ago, Smoak352 said:

I would see which mounting hole they used and compare to others on here that have the same hull and motor. I doubt the overheating has any correlation to the low rpms, but I have been wrong before. 

Working on that research now 😉 it seems I’m mounted in the second hole from the top but not sure if that’s considered 2 or 3. I read the TRS performance bulletin for the 200 SHO and it referenced (mounting hole #2). 

Have you checked your oil level?  I suspect your oil level is way high due to blow by caused from being over propped and lugging the motor.  These motors “making oil” (gas blow by and gas getting into the oil) is pretty common in the bass boat world where they prop their boats for top end speed right out of the box without putting the proper prop on the motor during the break in period.   I would not crank the motor again until you get it checked out by the dealer.  If the mechanic acts like he’s never heard of a SHO “making oil”, then he is lying through his teeth.

19 hours ago, redzone1 said:

Have you checked your oil level?  I suspect your oil level is way high due to blow by caused from being over propped and lugging the motor.  These motors “making oil” (gas blow by and gas getting into the oil) is pretty common in the bass boat world where they prop their boats for top end speed right out of the box without putting the proper prop on the motor during the break in period.   I would not crank the motor again until you get it checked out by the dealer.  If the mechanic acts like he’s never heard of a SHO “making oil”, then he is lying through his teeth.

Just took a look and the level seems well above the second dot on dip stick. This was completely cold as the engine hasn’t run since yesterday.

44F4E59B-A8A0-4AEF-A73F-577BC94F7C91.jpeg

I wouldn’t think the over heat is due to the prop. The oils should be checked with the motor warm I’m told. 
 My engine will run as high as 4 inches on the jack plate all day long without over heat alarm. Others have posted the same thing. 
 And yes it’s a shame the Yamaha HS4 is not made in lower pitches because it’s a nice prop. But 21 is as low as it goes and I do not think you can spin that up with 200 ponies. 

21 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I wouldn’t think the over heat is due to the prop. The oils should be checked with the motor warm I’m told. 
 My engine will run as high as 4 inches on the jack plate all day long without over heat alarm. Others have posted the same thing. 
 And yes it’s a shame the Yamaha HS4 is not made in lower pitches because it’s a nice prop. But 21 is as low as it goes and I do not think you can spin that up with 200 ponies. 

I have so many questions these days ... lol.

How can I tell if that’s an HS4 prop? No markings other than the size. I was looking at the Mercs you suggested along with SWS2 in 15-18 pitch range (from Yamaha prop selector).

I kinda figured checking oil after running was the right way, but don’t have muffs that will fit on the pickup.

I also figured I should be able to run safely jacked at 2-3 (or even 4) without issue and that the highest settings were for “extenuating circumstances”.

I’m confident that I will get it figured out, just taking some time and education. I definitely appreciate all the feedback.

The HS4 is a 4 blade prop. The mercury branded props I mentioned are 3 blade as well. The difference is that the mercury props will lift you hull out of the water and they are built to go fast. I did my prop search in the bass boat forums. My boat ran so low in the water that the spray was even with the console. I had my two favorite props form my old opti max and thus started my prop changing on the 200 SHO. 

• Like 1

The Pics are great. That is the same setup as mine.Not sure why the rigger put it up one hole. I would move the motor down. I have never found anything good after 3" up while running but have found speed and grip all the way down. Often I have wanted another inch "down" and did not have it. Mine is in the top hole, unless I move the jack plate that is as low as it will go. I run at one or two most of the time, I only go three and above when I think I may need more clearance. There is just no advantage up there. If you run in three feet or more all the way down is not a bad place to be. Different props will change the sweet spot but it will always be below three. Use trim to get what you want, not the jack plate, then learn from there.

The Yamaha HS4 is very clearly marked. If you have one you would know. They seem to be hard to get the last couple years

Oil check.....motor off, warm good but cold is OK to, trim the motor up about half way for a few minutes, trim the motor down until its level, pull the dip stick and wipe it clean, (don't put any confidence in the oil level the first pull and look) put the dip stick back all the way, pull it back out and read the oil level. Do not bother looking at the oil level the first time you pull it, it will not be correct. I can explain why but it would take more than I want to type right now. I have always done and always do all my own oil changes. I know exactly how much oil goes in and comes out. Gives me a good perspective on the oil situation, LOL

Like I said before, Yamaha does not seem to make a great fit for the 200 SHO on the 2200. Their pitch mostly starts at 21 in the correct diameter. A good 18 pitch four blade or a 19 pitch three blade will be good. HoneyB has great confidence in the two props he has mentioned and having the same sled as you I completely agree with him. 

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, lots of been there done that. It Will save you money and headaches as it has saved me many times. 

• Like 1

@jh141 That was plenty of an explanation. Also, did check the oil a couple of time after first pull, but didn’t trim-up first. I will check again.

@HoneyB thanks for sharing details on your setup! 

I really appreciate all the input from you guys and others on the forum!

BTW ... What do you know about livewells? (just kidding 😉)

Just rechecked oil level (still cold) after tilting motor up then back to level for a few minutes (see pic). My dipstick doesn’t have hatching just two holes which I assume to be low and high but not sure. On recheck it’s a little above the top hole but not as drastic as when I checked yesterday (did not tilt and level that time).

44B87E4E-C515-4E01-97A2-22A594F0DB0D.jpeg