Livewell question

jramm

I’m just over a month into my new 2200 and have a silly question about the center livewell. What water level do most retain when only recirculating? I’ve filled the well about 3/4 full and it seems to drop down a few inches every time (seems to level out about 1/2 full). The level is well below the overflow pipe and all I can figure is that it  flows back into the pump lines. Was just curious how others manage.

Fill the live well up in your drive way with the boat’s drain plug removed and run the recirc pump, if you have a leak you’ll see it running out of the drain hole... it’s going somewhere. The recirc pump and associated plumbing don’t hold that much water. Most live well systems have leaks somewhere, mine always have anyway. 

• Like 1

I rarely run just the recirculating pump, if I had Permit candy only maybe and then I would use the short stand pipe. If I fill my live well and then turn off the pump it holds all the water. Only what finds its way out the stand pipe when lets say getting on or off plane is lost. You could try shutting off the pick up valve after you fill the live well to see if that helps. 

I most always run BOTH my new water pump and my recirc pump when using my live well. I find the Pilchards are happier that way. I have also extended my stand pipe and added a Clearview filter to maximize the capacity and minimize slosh when running.  

Make sure if you are losing water that it is not going into the bilge. There were some instances where the very top of the live well was not completely sealed to the bottom of the deck. Easily fixed. Again you would only lose water getting on or coming off plane. Turn the valve off see if anything changes.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:58 AM, jason p said:

Fill the live well up in your drive way with the boat’s drain plug removed and run the recirc pump, if you have a leak you’ll see it running out of the drain hole... it’s going somewhere. The recirc pump and associated plumbing don’t hold that much water. Most live well systems have leaks somewhere, mine always have anyway. 

Thanks for the advice. Did the driveway fill tonight and nothing came out of drain plug but water is definitely feeding back through the fill lines and out through the pickup. I have three inputs to my center livewell (low/mid/high). Guess I need to make some adjustments to the fill lines or connections (check valve?).

1 hour ago, bernieNC said:

The base of the standpipe is a good "leak source". I keep Vaseline on board to keep it lubed and help seal it. Been doing this for years.

Good tip. Thanks! For my current issue, I took a look and it seems of my three fill hose into the well, only the highest entry has an inline check valve. The mid and lower hoses are on the same pump line and split with a T but based on the back flow it doesn’t seem the have a check-valve. I’m considering pulling the inline check valve from the upper line and moving it to the main hose (before the T) to stop the back flow from mid and low fill ports.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to follow-up on this and see if someone could help me understand my setup better than I do at this point. I have attached a couple of pics for reference. I have three input ports but only seem to get water during fill from lower and mid. Those two are plumbed (split) off the main line from the pump. The highest input in the livewell is plumbed directly to other port on the pump but don’t really understand this config. I’m also confused why this line has what appears to be an inline check valve given that it’s at the top of the livewell, yet the lower and mid do not and seem to back flow and drain out. Any thoughts on this setup are appreciated. I believe this is direct from the manufacturer.

211A37FB-41EB-4EDD-BDCE-BE06C873275F.jpeg

E457EFDA-A7CC-468A-A1C6-BAA057D73496.jpeg

49357D7C-1EAE-42AA-9236-504A855A5EC7.jpeg

I see something hidden behind the group of hoses. Is that the check valve you are talking about? If it is a check valve, then it is not sealing properly, might need to clean and remove sediment that is causing it not to seal. 

I don't have a recirculating pump or check valves so I can't really comment on that. But, if you don't have something to stop the water from back-flowing out the bottom discharges, then water will back-flow out these discharges, down the hose, through the pump and out the pick-up strainer until the water level reaches the same height as the bottom discharge in the live-well.  

45 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I see something hidden behind the group of hoses. Is that the check valve you are talking about? If it is a check valve, then it is not sealing properly, might need to clean and remove sediment that is causing it not to seal. 

I don't have a recirculating pump or check valves so I can't really comment on that. But, if you don't have something to stop the water from back-flowing out the bottom discharges, then water will back-flow out these discharges, down the hose, through the pump and out the pick-up strainer until the water level reaches the same height as the bottom discharge in the live-well.  

Yes. There does seem to be a check valve, but what confuses me is that check valve is only on the hose that feeds the highest port in the well. Water never gets to that height as it would reach the overflow first. The other ports don’t seem to have any check valve and absolutely do lose water via the back flow. I was trying to find out if it was a mistake in the original setup as the reason for a check valve on that one line but not on the others seemed very confusing. So, when in doubt ask the experts on MBG Forum!

Ok anyone, Please correct me if I am wrong. This looks like he has Two pumps coming directly from the sea chest to the live well and one line coming from the washdown port of one of the pumps going to the live well. If that is correct Why the washdown port.....maybe to help with pump air lock.....but only on one pump????     I am not understanding the hose coming off the wash downport? 

I would try this....Take a pair of vise grips and (lightly as to not hurt the hose) clamp off the hose coming from wash down port and see if that resolves the draw down.  

I can not be right here.....Someone please explain.   

Is this a TE with two live wells???

22 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Ok anyone, Please correct me if I am wrong. This looks like he has Two pumps coming directly from the sea chest to the live well and one line coming from the washdown port of one of the pumps going to the live well. If that is correct Why the washdown port.....maybe to help with pump air lock.....but only on one pump????     I am not understanding the hose coming off the wash downport? 

I would try this....Take a pair of vise grips and (lightly as to not hurt the hose) clamp off the hose coming from wash down port and see if that resolves the draw down.  

I can not be right here.....Someone please explain.   

Is this a TE with two live wells???

It’s a TRS but does have two livewells. The pump picture flipped upside down when I posted ... but yes, the pump in the back goes to the port livewell and has a line to the wash down pump. I don’t use that well and have the valve off. The pump in the front is to the center livewell, used frequently, and is the one that confused me. It does have a line from the wash down port to an upper entry port in the livewell. As someone noted, that seems the be to prevent burping/air lock. My assumption is that I can resolve the back flow with a check valve on the line that actually feeds the well (before it T’s off). It’s not a huge issue in the water as the well will maintain enough to keep shrimp alive, could be an issue with baitfish.

OK I get it. Well the good news is with the type of hose used you should have no problem moving the check valve. It should be easy to work with. The black hose on my 2012 TRS is a pain to get on and off

On my live well the tee is very close, within an inch to the top outlet feeding the livewell. That probably means no need for a check valve. 

I agree, move the check valve to the line coming from the pump and before any tees.