Repower 1994 Hewes Bayfisher 16'

Charleston Bay

Howdie, Hewes community!  I have a 1994 Hewes Bayfisher 16 foot with a 2000 year Johnson 90hp.  I love the combination but the johnson is starting have issues and is losing power.  Instead of investing more time and money in my 20 year old 2-stroke, I'm shopping new 4-strokes.  The boat is rated for up to a 115hp but I worry about the additional weight and the size of the cowling (the poling platform isn't huge).  FYI, I'm a huge fan of Yamaha outboards but I have some friends suggesting I look at the new suzuki's as well.  

Facts: 

• My 2000 Johnson 2-stroke 90hp weighs 319 lbs. 
  • Yamaha F90LB weighs 353 lbs 
  • Yamaha F115 weighs 377 lbs (both the 90 and the 115 are 1.8 liter in-line engines)
  • Suzuki DF90A weighs 343 
  • Suzuki DF115SS weighs 394

Questions

1. Does anyone have a 16' foot Hewes with a 90 or 115 4-stroke?  If so, how does it ride, sit and perform? 
  2. Do I need a 20" or 25" if I go with Yamaha?  
  3. Any suggestions where to purchase?  I'd prefer to do the install myself so i'll need the motor and the controls/wiring harness.  I live in Charleston SC 
  4. Yamaha or Suzuki?  
  5. I'm concerned about the height of the engine cowling.  My poling platform is within inches of my current Johnson 90.  Does anyone know how to measure? 

Thanks in advance for your advice! 

-brian

You might want to broaden your horizons a little bit. Yamaha and Suzuki are great choices but you should also consider Mercury. I have a Mercury Pro XS 115 and it is a great engine and is actually about the same weight as a Yamaha F90.  I get a top end of nearly 50 MPH on my Redfisher 16. Any faster would be unsafe / scary on this hull. 
      I have a 2008 Redfisher and with  PRO XS 115 . Weight is 359lbs. With my Mercury X7 Spitfire 13 17p Prop I am able to jump up on a plane without much porpoising. With a standard 3 blade prop porpoising was  significant. My hull is very weight sensitive and the  need for trim and trim tabs a

CB  - yes most here are Yamadog's....

You'll find that there is much experience and information on props and other facts to help.

I believe the @Outlaw on the forum just repowered with a F115 Show.  He seems to be pretty happy.

Check with him...

With the new F's, most people move their batteries forward.

As well, depending on your location, service is also a consideration....here in So Florida there are many Zuk and Mercury dealers...in some locations in the US, less so.

Be sure to speak with the Funky Monkey @ POwertech props once you make your decision....he's a walking encyclopedia of props and can help you.

Enjoy...

DC

Thanks for the input on the Mercury @Wahoossi I'll add Mercury to my contention set.  And thanks for pointing me towards @outlaw and Funky Monkey @Wanaflatsfish!  FYI, I added a 5th question to the original post.  I'm concerned about a new motor fitting under my poling platform.  Here's what I'm dealing with: 

IMG_5394_2.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

On 9/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, Charleston Bay said:

Howdie, Hewes community!  I have a 1994 Hewes Bayfisher 16 foot with a 2000 year Johnson 90hp.  I love the combination but the johnson is starting have issues and is losing power.  Instead of investing more time and money in my 20 year old 2-stroke, I'm shopping new 4-strokes.  The boat is rated for up to a 115hp but I worry about the additional weight and the size of the cowling (the poling platform isn't huge).  FYI, I'm a huge fan of Yamaha outboards but I have some friends suggesting I look at the new suzuki's as well.  

Facts: 

• My 2000 Johnson 2-stroke 90hp weighs 319 lbs. 
  • Yamaha F90LB weighs 353 lbs 
  • Yamaha F115 weighs 377 lbs (both the 90 and the 115 are 1.8 liter in-line engines)
  • Suzuki DF90A weighs 343 
  • Suzuki DF115SS weighs 394

Questions

1. Does anyone have a 16' foot Hewes with a 90 or 115 4-stroke?  If so, how does it ride, sit and perform? 
  2. Do I need a 20" or 25" if I go with Yamaha?  
  3. Any suggestions where to purchase?  I'd prefer to do the install myself so i'll need the motor and the controls/wiring harness.  I live in Charleston SC 
  4. Yamaha or Suzuki?  
  5. I'm concerned about the height of the engine cowling.  My poling platform is within inches of my current Johnson 90.  Does anyone know how to measure? 

Thanks in advance for your advice! 

-brian

If you are going to do the Zuke I believe the 115 and the 140 are the same engine block so weight is about the same. I recently repowered my 18’ Hewes in FL.  Suzuki was thousands less(all new rigging and installed for less than just the Yamaha engine) and has a 6 year warranty. So for me it was not even a competition. Others may know more about the install but I believe it affects warranty if you install yourself. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Charleston Bay I just blew up my original yama 90 on my 97 bayfisher 16. I'm in the same boat as you figuratively and literally. I don't want to loose speed and I don't want to spend a fortune replacing perfectly my good AGM batteries with lithium. I have spent hours and hours thinking on this and am between the Sho115 and the zuk 90.

-The zuk is more affordable, and my boat would be balanced well enough by moving my house battery to the forward hatch. I would gain about 70lbs with this configuration.

-With the sho 115, I would have to move the house battery forward and go to lithium trolling motor batteries in the console. I would gain about 75lbs in this configuration. 

I think I would be happy with either option. If I KNEW the sho 115 could have me cruising at 40mph and flirting with 50 WOT, I would be more tempted. But I haven't found anyone that has done it. 

I roughly measured the zuk 90 and I think it will fit under my stock platform(No jackplate). I haven't been able to measure a sho115 yet. The Mercury Pro XS is a much taller motor than the other two. 

Finally, the price difference is worth considering. I have been quoted for $11,500 with controls, install, and propeller for the Suzuki. From there, I'd spend $900 on hydraulic steering, and a couple hundred building a box for my starting battery. The Sho 115 was $14,000 installed with controls gauges and prop, then you lump in hydraulic steering, lithium batteries, and any costs associated with moving around batteries, and you're closer to 16K.

I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these motors. I will certainly provide numbers when I am all set up. Hope this helps.