A welcome trend!

Guest DavidG

As I’ve posted before, I’ve been fishing all my life since my Dad was in the Navy and caught my first fish ( a flounder) at age 3 .I grew upon the keys and we transferred to Mayport Fl ( Jacksonville) when I was 12 and fished and surfed the rest of the 48 years. ( gave up surfing after my injury)  The trend I’m seeing now is welcoming! Young bucks wearing long sleeves, wide brimmed hats, and worrying about skin cancer! Guys keep it up! After 9 sessions of having chunks of my body cut out, 7 squamous cell, 2 basal cell all not pleasant! You young bucks keep it up!.....David

After 31 years in the medical field, I was glad to see so many views but 0 reply’s. At least 27 people read it!  Yes fishing and boating are great. As I mentioned squamous cell and basal cell cancer, these are typically in the minor league! Let them hit you with melanoma diagnosis and your in it for the long run! I lost my best fishing buddy from melanoma! His name was Dick Skow. If I can get to just 1 person, then this post was worthwhile! Keep up the trend young bucks and put the word out! Yes, skin cancer can kill!......David

Thank you for the reply SCFD ! As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized what’s important. My last positive basal cell cancer had my forearm cut from 1 end to another and completely cut out. I’m only 60 but if I can get through to the younger members then it’s worth it. Those that take their young sons and daughters , PLEASE find the best sunscreen available! We might look GREAT as a young person with that golden tone but wait till you get older! I’ll be glad to share pictures!.....David

55 minutes ago, DavidG said:

I was glad to see so many views but 0 reply’s. At least 27 people read it!

David, it is the weekend, everyone is fishing or out and about. The reply's will come in the week days and the evenings. 

Your words are wise! I myself have been a Florida boy that grew up and never wore sunscreen, worked outside for much of my younger years. I am only 51 so I got an office job but now but you will see me under shade and with a big hat. I will also be helping the local economy by having "The Outlaw" build me a T-top to further my out of sun future, (Ralph, I will be in touch). Thankfully I have not been diagnosed with any signs of cancer but I question everything that pops up on my body. Self inspection is very important.