Side scan upgrade

whichwaysup

Hey all - need a little advice. I'm currently running a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI on my boat and it has been a decent unit (aside from occ***ionally shutting down on me). I am starting to realize that I really need a side scan unit, but don't want to sink over a grand into one. A few questions:

Can the Elite HDI series handle side scan if I had the right transducer? I don't think it can, but thought I'd check.

Any links to a decent price on a good replacement unit WITH the appropriate side scan transducer? I'm not married to Lowrance, but do like the quality of its imaging. Ideally I'm looking for a 7" or so screen if possible, since I use one unit for the entire boat.

Any other thoughts?

To be honest, it may be best to save for a bit and get sidescan on an 8 inch screen or bigger.

Sidescan often requires seeing small branches, ditches, etc. And a 5 inch screen would make it extremely difficult, borderline impossible.

The bigger screen really helps pick up smaller things and your eyes don't hurt.

For good deals, look on b*** boat central in the electronics for sale section

Okay, so I'm probably about to start a war here, but would be curious about ACTUAL experience with side scan units. Here are my requirements:

1) would like to stay under $1000, Side scan xducer included

2) The water I fish is generally 8 feet or less, most of the time 5 feet or less

3) The xducer will be mounted in the stern of my Maverick MA, not on the trolling motor

4) Per the comments above, I need as big a screen as possible, since I'll be using this single unit from all points in the boat, and it will be mounted on the top of my console.

I've generally used Lowrance products, but with my MinnKota Ipilot, would happily consider humminbird.

I'll take any suggestions you all may have, but here are three units I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010SDCAWY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?tag=fisfinrev04-20

http://www.cabelas.com/product/humminbird-reg-899ci-hd-si-combo/1728292.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/boating-electronics/humminbird/_/N-1102704%201000003678/Ne-1000003678/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105684480?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU&No=0&avad=55963_aa6e8552&WT.mc_id=al41227&Subid1=SID&subacctid=41227&subacctname=41227&adname=Custom+Link&adtype=cl&adid=NA&utm_medium=AFF&utm_source=41227&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.cabelas.com/product/lowrance-174-elite-7-ti-medium-high-sonar-gps-combo/2181101.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Delite-7%252Bti%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=elite-7+ti

There are some insane deals on the gen 2's right now, check out the prices below.... if you went with a 9 you might end up just a little over 1k as youd have to buy both ducers unless your current one would work with it... an lss2 is around 199 I think... definatley make it under the 1k mark if you went 7".

You do mean the xducer will be mounted ON the stern and not in it right?

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1453587155-Capture.JPG[/image]

1453587155-Capture.JPG.d105189cb2bee7c76

It is useful in the depths you will be in but will be limited in range. ITs really cool to look around and scout with it and every now and then you find some interesting stuff. Back when I used to shallow water fish I was running a small humminbird back then and got some cool stuff here are some screen shots

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1453588045-S00054.jpg[/image]

1453588006-ft_pierce.jpg.1ec2252d76e931f

1453588022-S00033.jpg.afc43cea1506449aa2

1453588045-S00054.jpg.5fd37a152637a53f4e

I liked them too.... too bad they missed the mark with the Onix / ion, too expensive, user interface not great, lack of aftermarket ducers etc and went with modules for everything. If they would have come out with something more comparable to HDS touch I prolly would have went with them

Couple of things. There is nothing wrong w/ my current combo 7" unit which has a good thru hull trans (no side view). Been thinking about adding a second 7" unit to get away from small split screens(sv and dv would be a plus) Do not realty need a second map. PRICE. Seems to be a good fit for my needs. I am a Garmin guy.

I don't have a comparison but I did a maiden voyage today of my Garmin gcv10 black box hooked to a Garmin echomap 70 dv, let me tell you that I am highly impressed with this sonar. Between seeing trees, logs, rock piles, and fish, comparing the downvu and traditional sonar readings, I would recommend upgrading to a unit that has these features. I work for At&t and we have cables laying on the floor of our river and I found them today and followed them for over 3000 feet. Awesome technology, imho find a way to add these features if you are upgrading.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

whichwaysup,

I am following your thread and I am not trying to hijack it but I have a question that pertains to this subject. For those of you that have the sidescan units (mine is Lowrance but I don't think it matters) what ideas do you have for mounting the huge sidescan transducer? Have any of you mounted it up in the pocket of the transom (flush mount)? In the instruction manual it says that the sidescan is good below 10 mph so it would not need to be in the water when on plane. Any other good ideas? It is huge and I like my stuff to look clean and neat so I am trying to figure out a mounting spot.

Would you PM me some pics of your transducers so as not to take away from this thread. TIA

They make a hull bracket which would require drilling a hole in the hull of course.

Other than that your, stuck w/ a transom mount or step hull attachment.

Quite honestly, I don't think I'ld go with the bottom hull attachment on a flats boats.

There's only 3 options for ducer placement.

1) Transom

2) Step hull attachment

3) Bottom hull attachment.

Pic your poison.

Dale

When I was mounting the new one, which is MUCH bigger BTW, I was wanting to mount it directly to the bottom of the pocket with the cable just beyond the rear of the transom. With all the drains I have it could not be done. The instructions I have with mine say it can be mounted, on the transom, top of pocket (they call it step), on the pocket wall, or under the jackplate.

Rick. I read the same thing and I was wanting to mount it flush in the center of the pocket (step) with the cable facing towards the rear like you said. (the manual says you can do this but you must set a feature on the head unit under side scan to reverse the picture so the right side of the screen will be the right and the left side will be the left since you are mounting the transducer backwards)

I may have to turn in my 'man card' but the large transducer is pretty gaudy looking hanging off the back of the transom. Can you send me a picture of your mounted?

I'm not sure. That is a good question because it also says when mounted on the back transom to tilt your motor up when using side scan so you can get the full effect. So the lower unit is blocking the signal. So if the signal goes outward at a sharp enough angle then it may hit the outer sides of the pocket if it were mounted there?

When they talk about mounting it on a step I thought a step was equal to a strake and you lined it up with the horizontal part of the strake when using the transom mount bracket. What do you think?

What do you think?

I mounted mine in the pocket center line of the boat above the drain plug. It doesn't interfere with the prop at speed and reads perfectly when off plane. I wasn't sure about it at first but after testing it was a great success. I did a bunch of research on placement to realize without a jack plate it would see the motor if I didn't raise the motor out of view of the transducer. Also the beam has I believe about a 5 degree down angle so it clears the pocket sides just fine.

Matt

Archived