Best budget reels fishing with kids

Shallowminded6

So, looking at possibly either rebuilding or replacing my Shimano FJ 4,000s (6 of them) in the near future. Having some issues currently with drag and bearings. I have two little boys 2&3. They are taking an interest in the boat/fishing. What reels did you guys use while teaching your lil ones to fish? Kind of thinking staying away from stradics and above, Im sure they are going to take a bit of a beating and get dunked on occasion and dont want to stress over them. Just seeing if you guys had any suggestions for budget reels. 

2 and 3 YO wielding a 4000 series reel? Nice!

I don't know what 'budget' you are in but I have had good luck with the Daiwa Fuego LT series spinning reel. I have a 1000, 2500 and a 3000 series for over a year now and fish almost every weekend. Not a guide but a recreational fisherman. They run $100 +/- and I see them for 20% off occasionally. I match them up with a 6'6", 7', 7'6" ML (yes ML) rod and have a blast. fishing inshore Tampa bay. I buy the OHERO series rods for $70 in Tampa

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lurem said:

2 and 3 YO wielding a 4000 series reel? Nice!

I don't know what 'budget' you are in but I have had good luck with the Daiwa Fuego LT series spinning reel. I have a 1000, 2500 and a 3000 series for over a year now and fish almost every weekend. Not a guide but a recreational fisherman. They run $100 +/- and I see them for 20% off occasionally. I match them up with a 6'6", 7', 7'6" ML (yes ML) rod and have a blast. fishing inshore Tampa bay. I buy the OHERO series rods for $70 in Tampa

Haha. My 3 y/o only wants to use what I use. Im just stoked the 2 have a large desire to be on the boat, fishing and outdoors and almost no desire for tv or inside. I got a cheap spinner at Gander for him to learn on. He is pretty accurate with the small zebco he has and can cast about 30’, but doesnt want to use it anymore. Will check those out, also need to go smaller than the 4,000 a bit. Tough for them to handle. But want to get something for them to grow into. Might be jumping the gun a bit. 

• Like 1

Heres a piece of useless information that has nothing to do with this topic but does have to do with fishing reels..................

After World War 2 there was a factory in Texas that made bombs and bomb parts for the war effort. After the war the owner had all this equipment and machinery but the order for bomb parts obviously ceased. So the old man puts an add in the paper and basically says; If you have a product or an idea we can build it. So this other old boy from Texas has an idea for a fishing reel so he contacts him and they make a fishing reel from his design. They were so impressed with the design they agrred to start manufacturing them in large quantitys and selling them. However they did not know what to name this new reel. Well after some thought they decided to name the reel after the bomb company that was called "Zero Hour Bomb Company"  thus Zebco was born!

• Like 4

Zebco Dock Demon combo.  They make a closed spincaster and a spinning model both on a 36" glass rod.  I got one for giggles and my son and I had a blast catching striper, trout and flounder with it.  I pulled all the line that came with it off and put 10# braid on it, works like a champ.  $20 for the combo is pretty hard to beat and the fact that it's only 36" and nearly unbreakable is a plus too.

• Like 2

SM6,

Another thing that was fun when my son was small was to put a couple Hula hoops in the front or back yard and let them practice casting to them put a small weight or hard lure with the hooks removed). Before long they will be skipping baits under the mangroves like a pro!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quest4reds said:

Zebco Dock Demon combo.  They make a closed spincaster and a spinning model both on a 36" glass rod.  I got one for giggles and my son and I had a blast catching striper, trout and flounder with it.  I pulled all the line that came with it off and put 10# braid on it, works like a champ.  $20 for the combo is pretty hard to beat and the fact that it's only 36" and nearly unbreakable is a plus too.

Thanks for sharing that!  I'm getting one for my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter.  

15 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Thanks for sharing that!  I'm getting one for my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter.  

I'm heading for a long weekend fishing trip soon and I am going to do my darndest to catch a red drum on my dock demon.  I figure if the reel explodes at least I'm only out $20.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, quest4reds said:

I'm heading for a long weekend fishing trip soon and I am going to do my darndest to catch a red drum on my dock demon.  I figure if the reel explodes at least I'm only out $20.  I'll let you know how it goes.

PLEASE keep the gopro going.  I REALLY want to see a zebco go back to its original (BOMB) roots and BLOW UP!    There are plenty of reds that would be more than willing to assist.

Where are u going?

Penn Battle III. They are cheap and excellent quality. You wont be to up set when one of the little ones loose it overboard. Put it on an ugly stick elite or inshore light. That way when they reel a jig or fish up to the guides the rod wont go boom. I swear Penn sells that reel to cheap. its got to be the best value in fishing. I find myself fishing with my 4000 as much as I do my Stradics.

Well for anyone wondering how it went with the Dock Demon on the fishing trip, it pretty much stayed stowed.  Weather leading up to and during the trip had the fish scattered and tight lipped.  Nobody caught any numbers or great sized fish.  That being the case, I'll take it out with me next time and see if I can entice a red with it. 

2 hours ago, quest4reds said:

Well for anyone wondering how it went with the Dock Demon on the fishing trip, it pretty much stayed stowed.  Weather leading up to and during the trip had the fish scattered and tight lipped.  Nobody caught any numbers or great sized fish.  That being the case, I'll take it out with me next time and see if I can entice a red with it. 

Was wondering. I think Im gna start with this for him and work him up a bit. Probably rebuild my 4000 and use them until they are ready fir something bigger and let them use them. By then I will probably have another similar thread haha. I did buy my wife the Penn Passion and have been really impressed. $120 rod and reel. Smooth reel and drag system