2500 forward bunks wearing gel coat....

FINCHASER

Think Ive seen a few mention this on here already.... anyone dealt with it yet?  My boat is 6 months old and Ive already got significant grooving in the gel (pic does it no justice).... If I dont get this dealt with its liable to be wore thru the gel in another 6 mos.  Even the carpet has worn out on the bunks.... I notice the inside of the bunks are contoured presumably to alleviate any high friction spots so wondering if that is just not quite enough contouring.  

I think if they are contoured to just past where the carpet has worn thru both issues would be resolved..... thoughts??  Im going to email ameritrail and see what they say.  I did speak to the dealer and he suggested I wasnt backing down for enough.... I back down until the most forward cross member is just under water I discussed my disagreement with that as Ive had it deeper when I was going thru the learning proccess on where to back it and you end up with the boat crooked on the trailer because its floating and there is no control on where it settles when hauled out,

20201001_204849.jpg

20201002_101424.jpg

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

the bunks are telling you where the high spots are.  I  would remove the carpet and take an electric hand planer or just an old fashion plane and bevel those edges real heavy. replace carpet and watch for further  early wear

That was my line of thought as well

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

Or possibly shim the outsides to make it flat agains the hull. I know not something you would expect to have to do on a fitted trailer for your boat. 

That is a possible solution but they do appear to be on the right angle and for sure removing the high spots on the bunk will be a much less complicated way to go

I have a new 2600 With Ameritrail and noticed the carpet doing the same thing on forward bunks. Also some scuff marks on the hull on inside edge line of bunk.

If you back trailer too deep loading — the boat will float (obviously); and when you pull out of the water it will be crooked. Too shallow and extremely hard to get boat nested up to bow hook. I’m still struggling with this trailer. 

I did spray some silicone on bunks and it seemed to help slide a little. 

Just me, but this would be unacceptable if this happened to my new boat.  The bunks either fit or they don't, when the boat settles on the trailer.  If you sand down the edges of the bunks that are rubbing, you will still not get the full benefit of the entire surface of the bunk, supporting the hull like it should.

• Like 1

I have address this to Ameriatrail a couple years ago.  They did start to bevel the edge of the bunks and it helped a little bit.  It is certainly an issue and I believe they need to bevel them even more or maybe move them in farther. Maybe even a bit more angled in up at the front.   If you spray/lube/slick etc. that certain area, it does help. Don't need to do the entire bunk, just those edges.  It has nothing to do with how you loading the boat.  What does help is not to run so fast into the bunks.  Push up smooth and slow until your on the forward bunks and lined up straight, and then power up.  Not a total fix, but it does help.

My explanation of loading the boat was to counter the obvious solution of putting trailer in the water deeper to take some of the weight off of front bunks so we don’t scuff/groove  hull. Point being that we can’t do that as there is not a sweet spot to get it lined up and pulled out of water without it being crooked  and resting on a strake. Therefore we have to put trailer in shallow and power the boat up to the nested position. This causes damage to the hull Due to mis-aligned bunks. Slow or fast does not matter. 

It is a fitting issue with ameritrail and pathfinder. 

I got the bunks pulled and did some contouring.... there was a pretty sharp corner on the bunk where it was beveled in some sections that was where the wear was in other areas it was just outside it.  I beveled the corners off making a nice smooth rounded section and put new carpet on.... time will tell so Im keeping an eye on it, fingers crossed it makes a difference

On 10/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, John Stewart said:

My explanation of loading the boat was to counter the obvious solution of putting trailer in the water deeper to take some of the weight off of front bunks so we don’t scuff/groove  hull. Point being that we can’t do that as there is not a sweet spot to get it lined up and pulled out of water without it being crooked  and resting on a strake. Therefore we have to put trailer in shallow and power the boat up to the nested position. This causes damage to the hull Due to mis-aligned bunks. Slow or fast does not matter. 

It is a fitting issue with ameritrail and pathfinder. 

You need to let the trailer catch the boat. Not let the boat float above the trailer. Bay boats or flats boats with their lower gunnels do not do well with trailers placed deep in the water. The nose wants to come in under the bow roller. It's just the nature of the beast. Spray the bunks heavy with silicone. put the trailer in so just the most forward part of the fenders is just above water. Come in gentle under power and let the boat slide to a stop. Then throttle up just enough to make the boat move a tiny bit forward. Go up front, hook up winch, crank boat up to stop. Go back and take motor out of gear, shut it off and raise it up. This is about the only way to do it easily and solo.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone thought about using bunk slides to counter the issue? Just thinking with a bunk slide generally being 3", if I was to adhere the slide on the inside of the bunk, closer to the keel, in theory the hull should rest proportionately on the slide, no? I have a 2021 Ameratrail but my brother has a 2020 and its worn through already, so we were discussing the possibility of installing slides.  My 2500 will be stored on a lift for the most part, but the issue should definitely get some resolution.     

• 1 year later...

Mine seems to be a little more than just needing the bunk lubed, but I will try this and do think this will help some. I always have a hard time unloading the boat and the boat will never load to the bow without needing to power on or winch on a ways. I've tired deeper, shallower depending on the ramp, I tried moving the winch/bow bracket forward but that only made the bow dig under the roller. I do have abnormal wear to the front bunk carpet which I noticed from day one that has gotten worse.  As I've been researching the issue it doesn't seem too uncommon as there's plenty of threads on this forum and others. You would just think that it wouldn't happen on a trailer built specifically for the boat. Never had this issue with any other boat.  

It appears the course of action from this thread and many others is to:

-Round over any edge on the front bunks where the carpet is wearing abnormally. 
-Lube the front bunks only and be very careful loading and unloading. 
-Load straight as possible onto the trailer as to not contact the bunks.
-Find the "sweet spot" when loading / unloading. 

I just want to make sure the above is not band-aid for a larger issue with the trailer not being set up correctly. I've yet to come across a thread where someone had the issues and they later reported a clear fix besides a center loading pad.

5 hours ago, 16bayfisher said:

Mine seems to be a little more than just needing the bunk lubed, but I will try this and do think this will help some. I always have a hard time unloading the boat and the boat will never load to the bow without needing to power on or winch on a ways. I've tired deeper, shallower depending on the ramp, I tried moving the winch/bow bracket forward but that only made the bow dig under the roller. I do have abnormal wear to the front bunk carpet which I noticed from day one that has gotten worse.  As I've been researching the issue it doesn't seem too uncommon as there's plenty of threads on this forum and others. You would just think that it wouldn't happen on a trailer built specifically for the boat. Never had this issue with any other boat.  

It appears the course of action from this thread and many others is to:

-Round over any edge on the front bunks where the carpet is wearing abnormally. 
-Lube the front bunks only and be very careful loading and unloading. 
-Load straight as possible onto the trailer as to not contact the bunks.
-Find the "sweet spot" when loading / unloading. 

I just want to make sure the above is not band-aid for a larger issue with the trailer not being set up correctly. I've yet to come across a thread where someone had the issues and they later reported a clear fix besides a center loading pad.

Post some detailed pics of the scuffs on the hull and the bunk set up... hard to tell what the issue may be without seeing it.  Been close to 2 years since I posted this and rounding the inner edge of the bunk seems to have worked for my setup as Im not seeing any further scuffing and wear on carpet is minimal.

I think in most cases it due to the length of the center bunks, they are pretty long now adays and the hull changes angle along that length where it contacts the hull.... with 2, maybe 3 mounting points of those bunks theres really no way to match the hulls angle the whole length of the bunk. 

Also take a close look at your carpet sometime... it amazing the sand and salt it accumulates which will cause abrasion.  I try to swing the trailer by the wash station before loading the boat and clean the carpet a few times a year.  I get it wet and take the corner edge of a 1X2 board and scrape it down the bunks which fluffs the carpet back up and loosens up the crap thats accumulated in it, then hit it with high pressure nozzle... repeat as needed to it clean again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Post some detailed pics of the scuffs on the hull and the bunk set up... hard to tell what the issue may be without seeing it.  Been close to 2 years since I posted this and rounding the inner edge of the bunk seems to have worked for my setup as Im not seeing any further scuffing and wear on carpet is minimal.

I think in most cases it due to the length of the center bunks, they are pretty long now adays and the hull changes angle along that length where it contacts the hull.... with 2, maybe 3 mounting points of those bunks theres really no way to match the hulls angle the whole length of the bunk. 

Also take a close look at your carpet sometime... it amazing the sand and salt it accumulates which will cause abrasion.  I try to swing the trailer by the wash station before loading the boat and clean the carpet a few times a year.  I get it wet and take the corner edge of a 1X2 board and scrape it down the bunks which fluffs the carpet back up and loosens up the crap thats accumulated in it, then hit it with high pressure nozzle... repeat as needed to it clean again.

Great to hear the rounding over and cleaning has resolved your issue. I defiantly have a couple spots that will need it. I'll post pic the next time I unload that boat, hopefully this weekend! 

While the bunks definitely need some attention and adjustment, I bet there's some sand in the carpeting as well that has contributed to the scuffs as well. It's a haze grey hull so it show the white scuffs more than a white hull would. I have contacted my dealer and they have been willing to help and ensure that everything good I'll contact Ameritrail as well. I don't mind having to do a little work myself, I just wanted to make sure of the issue and not waste my dealers, Ameritrials, or my time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my 2600 and Ameritrail too. I believe the cause is from when the boat slides on or off, the front bow has more deadrise and starts to fall down inside the bunks basically “pinching” itself between the two bunks. I think the proper fix is a V block in the front to keep the bow from sliding down inside the bunks. I see a similar setup on Sporttrail Trailers. 

• Like 1

my neighbor has a 26 pathy and he had a custom rolls axle built for it. its a sweet rig. i would eat off that thing if it came down to it. the ameratrails are nice but they slap them together for the pathfinders since they build 50 of them a week. My bote sits on a custom ROCKET trailer built down in miami they did a good job fitting the bote to the bunks. maybe give them a call