2500 Hybrid Comparison

Currently have a 2016 YF 24 bay and for the most part have been very satisfied with the quality, customer support, and experience with the boat.  The only thing I can really complain about is the ingenuity in the livewell lid that is a huge flaw IMO and on occasion the ride if the wind picks up which is to be expected with a bay boat.  

I'm looking for feedback from guys with the 2500 hybrid in how it compares to the YF as far as offshore/inshore capabilities and the quality/craftsmanship/customer support from MBG.

Thanks in advance!

I can give you a bit of feedback.  I have a 2500, but I have spent a lot of time on a 2012 YF 24 bay as my buddy had one(he just sold it and got a SeaVee 27Z).

IMO the 2500 is just a better all around package.  I never really warmed up to the ride on the YF, especially without trim tabs, just never understood why they don't have tabs...I also found the YF to be a wet ride and somewhat rougher ride than the PF.  The 2500 is super dry.  The casting/bow area on the YF is huge and definitely a bit bigger than the PF, but you can still comfortably have two people on the bow of the PF without issues.  From the helm back there is no comparison.  The room behind the leaning post on the YF as you know is very tight.  On the PF, you can easily walk around even with rods in the rocket launchers.  And your comment on the livewell is spot on, that plexiglass sliding lid is terrible, can never get the bait out easily.  Mine has the two livewells and both are very usable, especially the center one, that is used 95% of the time.  I figured that YF would have changed this in later model years but I guess not.  Storage wise, they are probably similar.  As for the ride, I think the PF is as good or better in most conditions, you get a bit more gunnel height than the YF, and its definitely a much drier ride and the PF seems to have a softer entry when rough.

Build wise, I think they are similar, the YF being a custom type boat, probably has some areas that are a bit cleaner or refined, but I have been very happy with the PF (it's my third since 2013 - 20', 230 and now the 2500) and I have had great experience with their customer support over the years.  Based on the what a new YF 24 costs vs the PF, I dont think you can go wrong, and the resale on these boats is very consistent....

On 10/14/2020 at 12:37 PM, pbspecial said:

I can give you a bit of feedback.  I have a 2500, but I have spent a lot of time on a 2012 YF 24 bay as my buddy had one(he just sold it and got a SeaVee 27Z).

IMO the 2500 is just a better all around package.  I never really warmed up to the ride on the YF, especially without trim tabs, just never understood why they don't have tabs...I also found the YF to be a wet ride and somewhat rougher ride than the PF.  The 2500 is super dry.  The casting/bow area on the YF is huge and definitely a bit bigger than the PF, but you can still comfortably have two people on the bow of the PF without issues.  From the helm back there is no comparison.  The room behind the leaning post on the YF as you know is very tight.  On the PF, you can easily walk around even with rods in the rocket launchers.  And your comment on the livewell is spot on, that plexiglass sliding lid is terrible, can never get the bait out easily.  Mine has the two livewells and both are very usable, especially the center one, that is used 95% of the time.  I figured that YF would have changed this in later model years but I guess not.  Storage wise, they are probably similar.  As for the ride, I think the PF is as good or better in most conditions, you get a bit more gunnel height than the YF, and its definitely a much drier ride and the PF seems to have a softer entry when rough.

Build wise, I think they are similar, the YF being a custom type boat, probably has some areas that are a bit cleaner or refined, but I have been very happy with the PF (it's my third since 2013 - 20', 230 and now the 2500) and I have had great experience with their customer support over the years.  Based on the what a new YF 24 costs vs the PF, I dont think you can go wrong, and the resale on these boats is very consistent....

This was a great response and I really appreciate the insight. I feel like the PF definitely will have a better ride as opposed to the YF and the layout is really what has me sold.