LightTackle 18’/Redfisher 140 Suzuki numbers/review

Shallowminded6

A little behind on the numbers and review I wanted to post, but here it is. The pros, cons and my opinion. 
I have a 2000 18’ Light Tackle(smooth sides) that was turned into the CAD hull Redfisher(not sure when newer style started I think 07?). I had a Yamaha 150Vmax carbed motor that lasted 20yrs. Rather than rebuild I repowered with a 2020 140 Suzuki with a Suzuki prop 3Rx14x20P.

Yamaha fuel burn: not really sure but it wasnt great. It did decent when just onto plane, 3500-3700rpms. It was fast, cruise 34-37mph, topped out at 54-55mph. 

Suzuki 140 PROs: fuel burn is nothing short of impressive, almost makes fuel. Idle speed/trolling it gets almost 8mpg, cruising at 23-30mph it gets +\- 6-7mpg depending on conditions and load. Wide open 46mph at 6200rpm(limiter) light load, around 4mpg I think it does as good as the old Vmax at cruise. It is insanely quiet, it is no exageration when people say you can forget to turn it off or forgot it is on. It is light weight, and has the stern sitting a little higher than with the VMAX (Zuke 410lb with offset powerhead). The weight fits the boat well, I rarely have to use tabs when cruising as it doesnt porpoise at all.   
CONS- I do miss the cruise speed, some runs are long and the extra 5mph at cruise was nice along with the chime walking top speed. Probably wouldnt be noticible if I didnt have it before. It is slower to get onto plane but still does within 2-2.5 boat lengths regardless of load. I do miss the smell of 2 stroke smoke in the AM. Keep looking for an airfreshner but cant find one 😉

9697F62F-1304-41A3-95EA-1CFDF1A4499F.jpeg

CBED4F9C-5CB0-4DF7-837D-B70F582B1062.jpeg

D50258DD-2AA4-474E-A5F0-64EC1F78FED2.jpeg

0D42B7A2-B47A-4CE6-B7D3-2DB95D0A5167.jpeg

8B954ACE-F04A-49AB-A6B3-38D43851E7D0.jpeg

E0E78CBA-25B5-444F-9044-E5E6D84C98A4.jpeg

• Like 3

2 STROKE AIR FRESHNER, I LOVE IT!!  

Where can I buy some! LOL I remember 'back in the day' when I rode dirt bikes there was a brand of 2 stroke oil called BEL_RAY and it had a distinctive smell, maybe we could clone it?

Good report, I didn't mean to derail your thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lurem said:

2 STROKE AIR FRESHNER, I LOVE IT!!  

Where can I buy some! LOL I remember 'back in the day' when I rode dirt bikes there was a brand of 2 stroke oil called BEL_RAY and it had a distinctive smell, maybe we could clone it?

Good report, I didn't mean to derail your thread.

Entering a dirt bike race track back in the day and you could smell Bel Ray , Castor and Klotz  2 stroke oil within a 1/4 mile of the track . Just like smelling Cam 2 as you enter the car races . Not much smells more hi performance than a combination of burning rubber and Cam 2 . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabear said:

Entering a dirt bike race track back in the day and you could smell Bel Ray , Castor and Klotz  2 stroke oil within a 1/4 mile of the track . Just like smelling Cam 2 as you enter the car races . Not much smells more hi performance than a combination of burning rubber and Cam 2 . 

No worries, glad Im not the only 1!