Skinning Pompano

SCFD rtrd.

It is quite uncommon to see pompano cooked without the skin. It is in fact very common to see them cooked whole with the head on.

When I was in the wholesale fish business many high in restaurants requested the fish split whole with the head on.

We actually would put the frozen fish on a band saw to split them.

• Like 1

Pan fried?  Deep fried?  Hmmm kinda like fried-butter at the State Fair?  (as in, no thanks).

I would think Pomps are too delicate to deep fry, don't you think?  Pan fried skin on a Pomp has a nice crunchiness to it!

Then again, "to each their own" applies.  I baked a big chunk of Chilean Seabass last night at 425 for 25 minutes.  It was BUTTER!!

• Like 1

Leave the skin on and try the Pompano in a bag recipe. The theory about the skin is that it retains the natural oil in the fish and maintains the flavor.

Broiled pompano is common and very expensive in a restaurant. It brings more per pound off the boat than most any other fish. When I was gill netting back in the day getting a good strike on them was like striking gold.

Just trying to help you get your card back!😉

The classic way, ala New Orleans, is Pompano Papillote (sp) in parchment paper....

Very very simple:

place fish, meat side up...skin down..on olive oil.. add olive oil to the meat

Slice (julian-very thin), onions, carrots, celery,  sometimes fennel - place on top of meat

Make a paper dish and add some white wine

Add salt pepper to taste

seal the parchment into a bag - cook at 350 for 15-20 min until done.

DC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smilemaker said:

how can you take a man card away for frying something.

Real men fry everything

turkey

beef

oreo

twinkies

you name it and with a little batter it can be fried

and yes even fish

I agree maybe the revoked man card is for saying something like “ slice julian- very thin” 🥵 . Cooking a fish over a open camp fire with a stick should help keep that man card . 

• Like 1