Tow Vehicle- Pickup to SUV

soflah3

Anyone towing with a late model Ford Explorer? Currently in a 2018 Ford F-150 and the lease is coming due in the next few months.  As much as I love the truck, being a city dweller and diving a truck can *** at times. Day to day type stuff I know I will be ok and the new Explorer can fit full plywood sheets so hurricane prep won't be an issue. My main concern is a few longer tows a year from West Palm to the Keys or Flamingo or up to Ft Peirce. Boat is a 18 Redfisher so well under the 5600# limit of the Explorer.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated~

The Explorer ST is a helluva ride !  The wheelbase should be long enough to track the trailer well.  Plenty of power, brakes and suspension for towing your Redfisher. The only concern I would have is the short sidewalls on the tires. Some of the ramps and access roads have ruts and potholes. Just be careful not to pop a Pirelli !

Marc

• Like 1

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport (AWD Twin Turbo 3.5L Ecoboost).  It is tuned with a couple bolt on's and makes roughly 400 HP.  It tows very well.  Because of the boost and gear ratio, It actually acts more like a diesel than a gas truck.  It doesn't need to down shift all the time to pass someone or crest a hill. 

The new ST version is a RWD / AWD setup so i am sure it will tow even better.  I wouldn't hesitate to tow with either Explorer EcoBoost version  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MikeH said:

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 liter twin-turbo Ecoboost, and tow a 21' Master Angler. I have not experienced any issues with handling or braking and I am usually towing on I-75 between Tampa and St. Petersburg or Tampa and Boca Grande. 

I had the same SUV and loved it. I had a 27' CC in rack storage at the time so I didn't every tow with it. Fast and a great handling year/series 

Trucks typically have full frames and SUV can be either full frame or uni-body. Uni-body attaches the frame to the body and therefore may not be a strong or possibly flex under heavier loads. Do some investigating before you purchase and pick what is right for you. I have a 2014 Jeep GC  (uni-body) that is rated for 7700 pounds, I have pulled up to about 5000# so far and didn't feel unsafe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wanted to follow up on this thread as I finally got a deal done last week on a new Explorer ST. Yesterday I hooked up the Redfisher for the first time and gave it a 20 mile tow to Jupiter with 10 miles or so each way at highway speeds. I was really pleased on how well the Explorer towed it. Hardly knew it was back there. Lots of power with the Eco Boost. Only problem I have is the trailer hitch slap with the B&W hitch. I will get that fixed up this weekend. 

PXL_20210210_165311058.thumb.jpg.aaee3a99408b745d2cdafc4f11790842.jpg

PXL_20210210_165330792.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soflah3 said:

Wanted to follow up on this thread as I finally got a deal done last week on a new Explorer ST. Yesterday I hooked up the Redfisher for the first time and gave it a 20 mile tow to Jupiter with 10 miles or so each way at highway speeds. I was really pleased on how well the Explorer towed it. Hardly knew it was back there. Lots of power with the Eco Boost. Only problem I have is the trailer hitch slap with the B&W hitch. I will get that fixed up this weekend. 

PXL_20210210_165311058.thumb.jpg.aaee3a99408b745d2cdafc4f11790842.jpg

PXL_20210210_165330792.jpg

Which eco boost did you get? 2.7 or 3.5? Looks really nice!