2020 Louisiana Trip

Big Dave

Me and Mike ("InTheSlot12") headed back to Louisiana last Friday for some fishing, great food and fun.  Our trip was originally scheduled for earlier this year but postponed when Hurricane Laura hit the coast.  We spent two nights at Cajun Fishing Adventures Lodge in Buras fishing with a Florida guide.  The weather was less than ideal for shallow water sight fishing—overcast and windy—but we made the best of it. Our guide worked hard to put us on numerous fish both days, including an impressive red drum that Mike caught on a 4” Z-Man DieZel Minnow in Opening Night color.  The fish, caught in 2’ of water, measured just a tad short of 48” with a girth of 27”.  We estimated the weight at 40 pounds.  And, we learned that a StowMaster net won’t hold up under the weight of a fish like that!  Mike also landed a whopper of a black drum and we had 25 reds between us for the two days.  I landed a nice red on a MirroLure 84MR in black/white/silver after bombing a long cast to the back of a shallow water pond.  The eat sounded like someone had dropped a piano out of an airplane and then the fish immediately headed for the Roseau Cane and tangled up in the grass and mud. After a struggle, the fish was free from the vegetation and then brought to the boat after a short fight.  

On Sunday night, we headed back up to NOLA, checked in to the hotel and then headed out for some wonderful food and drink. The plan was to meet Captain Lucas Bissett in Hopedale the next morning for the first of two days fishing with him in the bayous and marsh drains between Lake Borgne and Chandeleur Sound.  Monday was tough fishing, with high water, weak tides, and strong winds.  We caught several green-stained bass and one red for the day.  Mike had a big red hooked up for a short fight but was unable to land it.   And, I had a massive strike (swing and a miss) on a top water lure, but no luck.   With hurricane Zeta heading towards the Louisiana coast and strong winds forecast for the next day, we cut our trip short and headed back to South Florida on Tuesday morning instead of fishing the second day.

Overall, a great trip—good fishing, fantastic food, drink and fun.   It is said that the most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  We certainly did not waste any days on this trip!  Here are a few photos.  

IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2481.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I may head down to Venice in a few weeks on an annual trip with some buddies.  Was going to sit it out this year due to workload but I turn 50 around the same time so might as well treat myself.

We fish out of the Venice Marina.  Mostly head south and fish the spillways down the river as well as the SW Pass.  We’ve tried to head out Red Pass and fish a little north towards Buras but never seem to have any luck.  What areas up that way did you all fish? We’ve been in the Wagon Wheel, Yankee Pond, Point Sandy Bay and Bay Coquette.  We always hit those areas with the wrong wind and muddy water.  Did you fish more north of those areas?

1 hour ago, rubble said:

I may head down to Venice in a few weeks on an annual trip with some buddies.  Was going to sit it out this year due to workload but I turn 50 around the same time so might as well treat myself.

We fish out of the Venice Marina.  Mostly head south and fish the spillways down the river as well as the SW Pass.  We’ve tried to head out Red Pass and fish a little north towards Buras but never seem to have any luck.  What areas up that way did you all fish? We’ve been in the Wagon Wheel, Yankee Pond, Point Sandy Bay and Bay Coquette.  We always hit those areas with the wrong wind and muddy water.  Did you fish more north of those areas?

Sent you a DM.