16 Bonefisher steering/jackplate?

Cole Henry

I have a 1995 16 Hewes Bonefisher with no feedback cable steering and no jackplate. I am wanting to add a jackplate and possibly hydraulic steering but was worried about clearance issues in the splash well. These boats were built with a very narrow well opening and I was wondering how others have theirs setup that have this same rig. What plate and what steering are you guys running on yours? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Can't speak on the jack plate. I've never had one.

I did have the Baystar hydraulic steering system installed on a '95 Bonefisher with a 90 Yamaha two stroke. It fit without any modifications, but the rubber cap on the fitting (I think a bleeding fitting) on the port side of the steering apparatus did touch the inner surface of the splash well when the wheel was fully (or almost fully) turned. I didn't worry about it.

If I can find some photos I'll post them.

Thank you for the response, I was curious if I could run that Baystar steering myself without the jack plate that helps. My current cable steering does that exact same thing and slightly touches on the port side on the front side of the splash well. What I am worried about is when I add a jack plate with a 4 inch setback that it will lie still inside the narrow opening of the well. I might need to go to a 6 inch setback...

I have Seastar on my 1994 16 Bonefisher with 90 Yamaha. We removed approximately 1/8" of gelcoat to accommodate the ram on the starboard side. It was no big deal. Setting it 4" back should fix this altogether. The ram should sit behind the transom.

I have not heard anyone ever say that they are glad they went with Baystar over the Seastar. Price diff is negligible. Hydraulic steering is awesome. It was one of the best things I ever did.

Archived