Transom

Bay Fisher

Transom issues. 97 Bayfisher. Thinking transom needs to be replaced if so then complete restoration in order-check replace fuel tank, rewire, etc. Any thoughts on what the damage is to transom? Recommendations for who can fix? Cost estimates? TIA for any info.

Not sure if pics will post. If not i’ll try to add them.

• 3 weeks later...

No not yet. I had some warranty work done on some spider cracks the first year and always felt there was something more going on. It has gotten progressively worse over the years and another member posted the following making me think my "something more going on" theory was right.

"I had a 97 BF that did the same thing.  From what i was told years ago when it happened is that it was the way the stringers are attached to the transom, or lack of.  I had it repaired where they beefed up the stringer/transom attachment.  Ran it for 7 or 8 years until I sold the boat and it was still solid as a rock without any further issues."

I have a 1997 LT 20ft with a F 150 on it now. I have not had an issue to date and have owned the boat since 2000. Have you owned the boat since new? I am wondering if the damage was a result of rough weather running or grounding in the history? The LT is not a smooth boat in heavy chop,so to save my butt I back off the speed when conditions dictate that.  Just curious as to whether this is a general situation problem.

Yes, I bought it new and for the most part preferred running at a comfortable cruising speed rather than racing or rough weather running. Many times I would cruise behind a buddy who had a 20 ft flats boat with a 225 that would race from spot to spot. We covered the same distance on the water from launch to lift he just got to the next spot first. It didn’t keep me from catching as many fish and at the end of the day he would spend $50 to fill up and I would spend $15. Yes, on occasion I ran from a storm but I don’t think rough running, grounding or hitting anything with my lower unit was ever an issue.