Best Extreme Rain Gear

rubble

Time to get some new rain gear.  I’ve had the Bass Pro 100mph for a while and it has served me well.  Prefer to get something in Red or other semi-visible color (no black or dark colors).  The BP 100mph is somewhat heavy but is great for colder weather north of the sunshine state.  Main goal is to stay dry when WOT and Fishing.  

21 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Not to highjack the thread BUT I would be interested in the opposite with regards to warmth, I need something that I am not going to melt in while fishing in South Florida. Bright visible colors as rubble suggests is a must.

Same.  Also would like to know what lightweight gear is out there.  From the research I've done, the "Breathable" gear doesn't necessarily translate to "Waterproof."  BUT Breathable is important in the heat.

38 minutes ago, rubble said:

Same.  Also would like to know what lightweight gear is out there.  From the research I've done, the "Breathable" gear doesn't necessarily translate to "Waterproof."  BUT Breathable is important in the heat.

The stuff that breaths usually will get you wet just slow enough that your soaked before you know it. AKA frogg Togs.

2 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Not to highjack the thread BUT I would be interested in the opposite with regards to warmth, I need something that I am not going to melt in while fishing in South Florida. Bright visible colors as rubble suggests is a must.

Aftco anhydrous 

not cheap, but the best on the market 

For what its worth... I have tried all kinds of brands and types over the years (, Frog Togs, Columbia, Patagonia, Simms, etc).  I have found that all the high dollar materials eventually lose their water proofing.  I have also never been able to fully water proof a weathered set even after re-applying scotch guard etc.  Rain normally comes in quick and leaves qiuck in South FLA.  I use PVC rain suits for rain gear.  Leaves me perfectly dry.  They are not breathable, but as others have said... breathable will get you wet if you are in the eliminates long enough.  Below is the set i use, my wife uses a bright yellow PVC set for motorcycles.  

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20mm-Nylon-Black-Medium/dp/B00363ZBCK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2YKJDADFHIHO3&dchild=1&keywords=coleman+rain+gear+for+men+waterproof&qid=1605537348&sprefix=coleman+rain+%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-5  

22 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

For what its worth... I have tried all kinds of brands and types over the years (, Frog Togs, Columbia, Patagonia, Simms, etc).  I have found that all the high dollar materials eventually lose their water proofing.  I have also never been able to fully water proof a weathered set even after re-applying scotch guard etc.  Rain normally comes in quick and leaves qiuck in South FLA.  I use PVC rain suits for rain gear.  Leaves me perfectly dry.  They are not breathable, but as others have said... breathable will get you wet if you are in the eliminates long enough.  Below is the set i use, my wife uses a bright yellow PVC set for motorcycles.  

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20mm-Nylon-Black-Medium/dp/B00363ZBCK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2YKJDADFHIHO3&dchild=1&keywords=coleman+rain+gear+for+men+waterproof&qid=1605537348&sprefix=coleman+rain+%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-5  

Scotch guard doesn’t work. But all “ breathable “  fabrics need to be touched up. Nikwax and nikwash are the best out there.

again, look at Aftco. Better than Simms imho 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got lots of old Goretex gear.  I’m kind of a redundancy guy so I have a Goretex jackets in my work truck, daily driver, family car, office, boat, etc.  Have some of my Dad’s old jackets with some ranging from 3 to 30+ years old.  The stuff works when it comes to keeping the elements out but you can definitely cook in some of that gear.