Carrying spare prop

brew1891

I always carry a spare prop for the yearly Choko trip, scalloping runs, and other long trips. Where to put the dang thing is the issue. Last year on the Choko trip the spare prop cracked a hatch bucket. Any advice how to mount it? where to mount it? something to carry it in that won’t allow it to destroy everything? 

Make a close fitting box out of starboard to fit the prop, then for extra peace of mind, get a SS bolt (around 6" if I remember) and center it up in the center hole, make a "washer" about 4" and through bolt the prop from moving. I was able to screw the starboard box down in the hatch to keep it from sliding. I first did it with just a 1/2" starboard and bolting it in place, however I made the the box because I did not like the exposed edges. Drain holes are needed at the rear.

I have a bass pro shop extreme bag that has a thick rubber bottom. I keep my prop wrench a small piece of wood, spare hub and my spare three blade prop in the bag and I put the bag in the starboard compartment next to the house battery on my 2200 TRS. Stays put and the thick bag keeps in all in its place. Easy in and out

PropBag1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas. I had envisioned something similar to what DonV suggested. But I think I am going to try the boat bag idea or maybe the milk crate idea. Bag should fit nicely in the rather useless port rear hatch. Can never have enough boat bags.  Composite prop sounds like a great idea in the long run though. 

Coto which composite prop do you have?

jh141 is that the small size bag?

3 hours ago, brew1891 said:

Thanks for all the ideas. I had envisioned something similar to what DonV suggested. But I think I am going to try the boat bag idea or maybe the milk crate idea. Bag should fit nicely in the rather useless port rear hatch. Can never have enough boat bags.  Composite prop sounds like a great idea in the long run though. 

Coto which composite prop do you have?

jh141 is that the small size bag?

Yes   18x18x10

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-extreme-boat-bags

On 11/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Coto said:

78755933-F11D-47CF-9D64-E8E6E6C677FD.thumb.jpeg.73c00751b878fc684fa42cf7b5c1d2e8.jpeg3DBCFD01-468B-47DD-AE61-3F1C5A02E224.thumb.jpeg.d169074cb185462b396506373d383496.jpeg

3B8E07B7-0027-4429-B27D-73244BCE1068.jpeg

I have the same prop...unless you are camping for several days and "really need a running prop"....the composite will "get you home"....it's lightweight and easy to store.

If I severely damage a prop or spin a hub....my day is done for the most part.....let's just hope the TM has a full charge and we have an incoming tide to the ramp :(

I agree with Outlaw... if you're running a SS prop the chance are that you'll spina hub before you destroy the prop completely anyway...  if you have to carry a spare try an aluminum Turning Point prop and hub, they are squeezed cast solid and perform almost as well as SS for a fare price..

11 hours ago, brew1891 said:

Thanks for all the ideas. 

if I have a PT prop with the cushion hub I can just carry the spare rods correct? 

just like the thought of a full back up far from the ramp. But you’re right should spin first and mess up the blades but not destroy them completely 

I suggest you carry a complete prop.  While hubs go out, I’ve seen blades bend, crack and fall off, so just a hub will not fix all the possible problems.