squidmotion's 97 bayfisher tunnel

squidmotion

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks alot guys!

handles chop ok....ran across g-town bay to the boat-cut today, pretty choppy and did get beat up a little bit.....but not too bad, we were really asking alot! good swells with a lot of cross chop...i was able to keep a semi-comfortable, very dry 25-30mph......i could have eased the ride a bit more with the tabs, but i'm afraid to run them in those rollers out there....i'm afraid to stuff it or something.....launching off a sneaky tanker wake, with the tabs down, is not something i really wanna try!!!!! :(

.....i think the rougher ride is due more to the light weight, not hull design (though a true v-hull, no tunnel, would make a biiiig difference!).....we all stayed perfectly dry just a hint of spray here and there, given the conditions, we did very well!

thanks again, i will try to keep the fun photos coming!!!

I try to shift as much weight forward as I can:

65 lb battery

trolling motor

30 lbs of anchor, chain and rope

154 lb bait tank just behind the bow casting platform

Throw in a full tank of gas and it turns that sharp entry into a chop cutting machine.

The boat actually rides better into a head sea than a following sea.

Chop up to three feet doesn't scare me, rolling waves I stay out of. Also standing men, I stay away from those too. The standing men can get ugly around the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and the Gandy Bridge.

yeah...a bit more weight forward helps....

yep, you definitely have to pay more attention with a boat like this, but it does very well. any heavier seas and i wouldn't go out into the p*** or ship channel anyway. even in a bigger boat, probably....

i had enough of fishing in rough seas when dad and i used to go offshore.....

• 4 weeks later...

This is it, minus the MinnKota RT80 3x. I am 'tuning' it as these were taken. Have had many offers, I just can't bring myself to part with this cl***ic.

[image]http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/7%205%2007%20017_1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/7%205%2007%20019.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/7%205%2007%20018.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/7%205%2007%20021.jpg[/image]

That's exactly what I said when I saw yours! I am the original owner (purchased beginning of 98) and that is the original motor. Last year I had to have the intakes and flushing system cleaned. I guess one of the issues with tunnel drives is that they don't always get adequate flow to the intakes and can clog easier. I experienced a high temp alarm whenever I exceeded 4200 RPMs. Anything below that I could run all day. Turned out it wasn't getting adequate flow at the higher RPMs. Once the salt was thouroughly cleaned out I was back in buisness. I have always flushed it after every use and do regular maintenance. I figure that isn't too bad in 9 years of heavy use. It has never failed me. Priamarily salt water Florida use. It never ceases to amaze me that I haven't had more trouble than I have (ie...hydraulics).

that is funny.....i have to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure no one in a canoe needs to get around!!!!:P

i find it amazing how shallow this thing runs.....just doesn't seem like a nearly 20ft boat should run this shallow.....light weight and great design, i guess!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I would advise; use your head! I have gotten myself in some real prediciments because of this boat! Running through winding mangrove cuts in Charlotte harbor only to turn a corner and face a 200 yard flat inches deep in some of the most pristine waters you will ever see, knowing if you come off plane you will be at best pushing yourself a couple hundred yards; at worst stuck until something changes...can you keep the nerve?

I can't tell you the number of adventures on Mosquito lagoon and the Indian river; they all make me smile when I think of it now. The point being, let it take you there and enjoy the ride.

• 11 months later...

a few photos to update....

from our few days in pensacola....

haven't been home in a while, with the new baby and the wife ill.... but what a great turnaround! taking a new baby in the back seat and a new friend dragging behind the truck.... a good first trip for both!!!

1215659450-P1010016.jpg.dfef6cb7b88bbe84

1215659443-P1010088.jpg.679675fe6317cdd7

1215659437-P1010083.jpg.5f9e39dc5f811915

1215659426-P1010013.jpg.7dc59eb615dc462d

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived