Chipped Skeg

RacerxV6

Hey Everyone,  

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later.  Loaded the boat up this past week I noticed that halfway up the trailer she bumped almost like she got stuck and then released and finished loading.  After I lifted the motor up an pulled her out of the water and I was parked and locking everything down.  My buddy came over and asked me when did I chip the skeg.  I said WHAT !!!!!! NEVER !!!!.  Then I looked at the skeg and it is missing a super small piece off of the very tip.  It most likely won't be of a performance issue but the fact that it is only 5 months old it kills me.  I'll attach a picture later I forgot to take one.  Question is should I just mix-up some JB weld and make a little form and then back fill it.  I mean it is literary about a 1/16" chip at the very tip. 

Had the same problem with my old boat after waiting to long to change the water pump impeller. The techs broke the same area trying to take the lower unit off. A little grinding, some saltwater primer and a coat of paint and you’ll never notice....David

RacerxV6, for minor dings and scratches on the 115 SHO, you could smooth out the edges with a file and sandpaper like mentioned above, and touch up the skeg with this paint: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00407YRBW/?coliid=I34L45F3TDVAO3&colid=BK6U9OZ9IMZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a very close match to the Dark SHO Blue and less expensive than Yamaha paint.  Dupli-Color also makes a good primer and clear coat to go with it, if you want to get fancy.  Dries fast - looks great!

Dupli-Color EBGM05007 Dark Ming Blue Metallic.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:40 AM, geeviam said:

RacerxV6, for minor dings and scratches on the 115 SHO, you could smooth out the edges with a file and sandpaper like mentioned above, and touch up the skeg with this paint: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00407YRBW/?coliid=I34L45F3TDVAO3&colid=BK6U9OZ9IMZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a very close match to the Dark SHO Blue and less expensive than Yamaha paint.  Dupli-Color also makes a good primer and clear coat to go with it, if you want to get fancy.  Dries fast - looks great!

Dupli-Color EBGM05007 Dark Ming Blue Metallic.jpg

Thanks Geeviam,  it's just the first of many to come I suppose.... just to early

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:18 PM, fin-addict said:

Mine looks like yours, twins. If you have paint on your skeg, your not fishing properly. Lol 😀🙏fin

When your lake fishing, there better be paint on it or your hit an island and you won't have a lower unit, lol.  not much sand in these  lakes

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Thanks Geeviam,  it's just the first of many to come I suppose.... just to early

I hear that.  Sand, mud and even some oyster rash on the coast isn't so bad.  But a rock or half-submerged tree trunk like we have on these lakes in Upstate SC can do some damage!  When big storms and rains move through, and Duke Energy releases huge amounts of water at the Dams, it's a good idea to stay off the lake for a few days afterward, until things settle down.