Sunken Pathfinder

Blake Pearce

QUESTION ABOUT BOAT SINKING. MY 2001 2400V PATHFINDER WITH A 2008 YAMAHA 250 WITH 800 HOURS FLIPPED AT THE DOCK IN A STORM AND THE ENTIRE BOAT WAS UNDER WATER FOR ABOUT 12-15 HOURS. ENGINE WAS CLEANED AND PICKLED IMMEDIATELY AND THE ENGINE RUNS AFTER A NEW STARTER AND FUEL PUMP RELAY. I AM LOOKING AT HAVING THE ENTIRE BOAT AND ENGINE REWIRED WITH NEW HARNESSES, ETC. BUT I AM FIGHTING WITH INSURANCE COMPANY OVER THE SALVAGE VALUE. QUESTION IS DO I KEEP THE BOAT AND REPAIR IT OR TAKE ALL OF THE MONEY FROM INSURANCE AND LOOK FOR ANOTHER ONE? THESE OLDER 2400V'S ARE HARD TO FIND BUT I JUST LOVE THE HULL AND WANT TO STAY IN THIS HULL. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH A SUBMERGED MOTOR, ETC. THANK YOU.

Just now, fin-addict said:

As you stated the engine was pickled ASAP and is running. So my answer is yes, keep the rig as you are willing to do what’s needed on the boat itself. I’m going to assume, when pickled and ran you had all fluid changed and everything else you would do as in a full maintenance. A lot cheaper than finding a new rig like you want. Right now your going to pay top dollar on another rig with prices of boats going sky high. JMO. Best of luck on whatever you do. 😀👍🙏fin. And yes I have had experience with ob and inbds. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Take it for hull value.

Every piece of wire is toast and everything electricity passes through as well.

Sell the engine and re power!

You now still have a great hull and that is about it!

Hate to be blunt, but have been there and done that.

said by someone who knows......I agree 100% with Troy....you basically have a blank canvas to rewire and do it as you want.

dc

I bought my Whipray from someone, someone’s insurance company, with the same story. The issue with the wiring, electrical, and electronic components Troy referenced is that the issues will show up over time depending on the component itself and even wire gauge size powering the component. Lights will go first, then relays and switches, and then pumps, etc...

Jason is spot on. Depending on how much you love this boat just my opinion but your looking at a lifetime of hell. Every switch,screw,clamp etc..etc.. will never be the same or trust worthy!