Marathon FL fishing knowledge

joecatdiesel

Go out back and fish for mangrove snapper if your trying to keep the family busy. Get in about ten feet of water, look for pot holes, anchor, chum and if you can get live bait you will stay busy. Frozen bait will work also. Arsenic Bank is a good place to start, normally a nice easy boat ride. Keep an eye out for cobia. Just to let you know the week between Christmas and New Years is a very busy time, I assume that has not changed even in the Covid mess, expect lots of people and traffic. Have fun.

I agree with DonV, I never fished Marathon and had a 17 Redfisher, little rough outside so I anchored up at several different columns along the seven mile bridge and set up chum slicks and caught some nice mangroves, yellow tails and lost some big fish and caught some big fish. Had fresh fish for dinner cooked several different ways everyday! If you can get off shore go for it and fish deeper reefs and do some trolling. I have also heard that just off the seven mile bridge ocean side to fish some of the grassier bottom areas for Vermillion snappers too, they are not big but are some good eats!. Grab yourself a top spot map, that would be a good starting place, especially for the back country if weather is not cooperating. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

Unsure how far of a run it is from the Marathon area, to the Flamingo area, but that could be a great day of fishing. However, if it is too far, anything in the backcountry this time of year is on fire. Should have great trout, red, and snook fishing for you. I don't get to go all the time, but every friend I know that guides or fishes for fun, is slaying the backcountry fishing right now.