learned 1 lesson, need help on the 2nd

raymo

Ive got an 01 2200V with a carbed VMAX 150 2 stroke on it...Ive owned the boat for about a year now, its been great to me and the family. Couple of issues here and there but nothing major. Until yesterday.

We were fishing in the flat calm Atlantic about 5 miles out. Gorgeous day...no wind to speak of, temps in the mid 60s with cloud cover. Tons of bait everywhere and the Garmin is lit up.

Then the alarm sounds...oil lights flashing on the gauge. Checked the reserve tank, 2/3 full...check the tank on the engine...at the low mark...and guess what...no oil on the boat...I know...ate up with the dumb***. :susel:

Big thanks to SeaTow for the oil...I filled the little tank on the engine and she purred home...but now...need to get her back seaworthy.

Help me troubleshoot this thing...are there inline filters between the two? where are they located? Is the pump something simple to troubleshoot or is this a shop only project? any pointers from the community are appreciated!

will it fill the main tank under the cowl when you hit the backup switch? If it doesn't most likely your pump on the reserve tank in the boat has gone bad. It's easy to pull out. The pump is in a resessed hole on the back side of the reserve tank. Pull it and use jumper wires to see if it runs on 12 volts. The only inline filter is a small white one right near the 12volt pump. The harness and float switch are pretty stout and last a long time. I have changed the pump on multiple Yamahas.

Under the cowl in the vicinity of the main tank. Normally under the main tank or just to the right of it. You can also trick the system by pulling the float switch out and letting the float go to the bottom (alarm will go off when you do this). If neither of those start to fill it (it fills slowly) then pull the pump and jump it to a battery. Most likely pump died.

Vmax HPDI or carbed? Yamaha has a great oiling system with a great alarm and guardian mode. It really doesn't need to be byp***ed. I have a 1994 115 proV that has only needed one pump and one filter since new. But to answer the question, on a carbed VMAX it's fine to byp***. I wouldn't byp*** on an HPDI

At the risk of stating the obvious, I always carry and would recommend carrying some oil with you. I had he same problem and got home without Sea Tow. My mechanic pulled the oil tank and changed a filter. Original pump so i Need to think about preventive change since my boat is 13 years old

flipping the switch:

when you flip that emergency switch - it grounds the blue wire to the pump - making the pump run.if the pump runs and transfers oil to the engine tank,the pump is good...

usually,when this problem is encountered,it's a bad float switch.

the filter wouldn't be a problem,if the oil flows,when the switch is flipped...

on occasion - the small ribbon style harness,comming from the motor to the remote oil tank - these can break @ the motor connection point,under the bracket holding the harness in place...

dumb question : does the trim indicator work ?

thanks all for the replies...

trust me...lesson learned on the oil...I have added that to a must have on all trips...

I saw that small ribbon harness when I pulled the cap off the tank to fill it...I did not notice the switch at the time, but will check when I get the chance to work on it...

and funny question about the trim indicator...it does not work...was bad when I bought the boat and have not found it to be a necessary gauge...I plan to fix it at some point as part of the process of making her perfect again...why do you ask?

Archived