Steering help

Marathon Man

I'm not at my boat right now so I can't check, but does anyone know what size socket I will need to remove the steering wheel nut on a H5271 Seastar (Dometic)helm. Original factory setup. Also I need to either replace, rebuild or have the helm rebuilt. Anyone got any advice or have done this recently?

Thank you

Boat is a 2001 Pathfinder 2200.

3 hours ago, Marathon Man said:

I'm not at my boat right now so I can't check, but does anyone know what size socket I will need to remove the steering wheel nut on a H5271 Seastar (Dometic)helm. Original factory setup. Also I need to either replace, rebuild or have the helm rebuilt. Anyone got any advice or have done this recently?

Thank you

Boat is a 2001 Pathfinder 2200.

If it's not been off in a while...you'll need a wheel puller....socket is probably either a 3/4 or 7/8 (just guessing).

I would go with a new set up.....the UFLEX system is what I installed and it went very well....I replaced the entire system (COTO) and I did the entire job in about 4 hours.....after we got past "step" one :)

If you have 19 yo seals on the stern....this is why I'm saying...just do the entire thing at one time.

d

10 hours ago, Marathon Man said:

I've got the PB Blaster and the puller, do you know which Uflex unit will replace the H5271 without modification of the dash or hoses?

Thank you!

Go on the Sea-Star (different system) and UFLEX websites.....they can provide you with what you are looking for...it's dependent on the size of the motor.

I bought mine from West Marine for the warranty benefits..a few $$ more, but, piece of mind.

Google UFLEX and Sea-Star installation...there are several good DIY videos on Youtube.

dc

Just went through it on my 2014 pathfinder. I used a vice grip and a rag to get the nut off, then got the vice grip under the wheel hub and gave it a tap and it came right off. It's a little more complicated if you have tilt steering and a tip. Only remove the lower bolt that secures the tilt mechanism to the helm shaft. Then you just pull the whole assembly straight up. It's pretty easy after that to remove the helm once you get the wheel off. Four bolts and 2 hydrolic fittings and it drops down. There is a great you tube out there on bleeding the system with one person. It worked like a charm for me, so check it out. Sea Star has a couple of repare centers in Florida and I used the one in Jacksonville. Nice people, knowledgeable and pretty quick turn around.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

Just went through it on my 2014 pathfinder. I used a vice grip and a rag to get the nut off, then got the vice grip under the wheel hub and gave it a tap and it came right off. It's a little more complicated if you have tilt steering and a tip. Only remove the lower bolt that secures the tilt mechanism to the helm shaft. Then you just pull the whole assembly straight up. It's pretty easy after that to remove the helm once you get the wheel off. Four bolts and 2 hydrolic fittings and it drops down. There is a great you tube out there on bleeding the system with one person. It worked like a charm for me, so check it out. Sea Star has a couple of repare centers in Florida and I used the one in Jacksonville. Nice people, knowledgeable and pretty quick turn around.

Good luck!

HH:

good info..BTW, i forgot about the company in Sarasota who does rebuilds....as well, check out the info on Ship-Shape TV on this topic.

they had a few good shows on this topic.

dc