Total length on trailer - MA 17 and 18.5?

Bud_man

Bud, I need exactly 23 feet 4 inches to get the garage door closed. However, how the boat sits on the trailer and your motor will make a difference. I have 17" of motor hanging off of the very back of my boat (beyond the flow through livewells), and 41 inches from my bow to the front of the trailer tongue.

Hope that helps.

I had a MA 17 and could not get it in the garage if the trailer did not have a removable tongue or swing tongue.

Ditto. My 17MA had a 135 Merc on it. Total length from tip of Ameratrail trailer to back of motor was 22' 8". Even if I could've jammed it into my standard size garage, there would've been no way to fully open the door from my house to the garage due to the beam of the boat.

• 1 month later...

Through lots of trial and error I managed to shoehorn my MA17 into my 1-car garage. Luckily it's a very long 1-car garage and fits the boat with about 5 inches to spare between the garage door and motor cowling (with a jackplate). I have approximately 23'4" to work with. So length was not the biggest issue. What was is the width. The garage width of a 1-car garage is a standard 8 ft. The two widest points on my trailer are the PVC guides which leaves me only about 2 inches on each side. My spring axle trailer, which sits up higher than a wider, torsion axle trailer, is the only way I'm able to fit it. I would have bought an Ameratrail a long time ago if I could fit it in my garage but they're just too wide (and I don't want them to build me a spring axle trailer just to make it fit - but they will). The other trick was fitting the poling platform underneath the standard 7 ft. garage height. I have to crank my trailer tongue jack/wheel all the way up to sneak the platform underneath and I've only got about 1/2" clearance. And.... I have to pull the boat into the garage, trailer tongue first with my fingers under the coupler and get hulk-like to pull it in. Thank goodness for my flat driveway!

One day I will have a 2-car garage and hopefully be able to use my truck to just back the boat in. For now I just dream.

Archived