Gas left in tank for long time

Bill Blanton

Because of the pandemic and some other issues, my 2004 HPX-V with 2010 Yamaha F90 has been sitting in the garage since February. I've taken it out a couple of time to run the engine, but the boat hasn't been on the water since then. The gas tank was filled with non-ethanol gas, plus some Gas-Shok fuel treatment, when I put it away. I added more Gas-Shok from time to time. The tank is aluminum, not fiberglass. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to face with gas left in the tank this long? I expect to get the boat on the water some time in the next couple of weeks, but, by then, it will be almost a year since the engine was operated at anything other than a fast idle, and it will probably take a couple of trips to run all the old gas out of the tank.

Any ideas, advise, suggestions will be appreciated.

Bill

Being non ethanol I would run it. You could take the fuel line loose after the primer bulb and pump some gas into a glass jar. Let it set a bit but I’m betting it’s fine. Run it once and top it off again with some fresh non ethanol. 

if your really concerned when you take the line loose let it siphon down to a 5 gallon can. Use it in your truck or lawn equipment. After you get out about 10 or 15 gallons top the boat off with some fresh pumped non ethanol. 
 Just my two pennies :)

Bill

I would suggest you contact a fuel tank cleaning company....

I did this when I bought my MA17 - it had not run in 3-4 years and the fuel was like varnish.  The seller had a mechanic do a rebuild on the carbs and it "ran" ok.....

I don't think your fuel will be varnish, but, in prudence, and given that it could have some "gunk" build up I would personally clean the tank - should cost you about $200...they normally have mobile units and *** out the gas and clean it with fresh gas using a pressure system.

For the engine, I would definately change out the plugs, fuel filter, lower unit oil, e.g. basic stuff and then refuel.  You can do all the aforementioned in about an hour.

And of course, if you want someone to follow you around in Chokoloskee after you do all this in case you break down and we can go fishing at your secret spots....i'm sure DonH and I will tag along just in case.

Tight lines.........

DC

9 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

if your really concerned when you take the line loose let it siphon down to a 5 gallon can. Use it in your truck or lawn equipment. After you get out about 10 or 15 gallons top the boat off with some fresh pumped non ethanol. 

Yes, this might be the first stage......or go through the sending unit....i think the little HPX's are fairly accessible....

The other thing i just thought of would be to be sure you install a good RACOR filter you can see what's going on ......big blues are fine, but, the racor will allow you to "see the fuel" and any potential issues as they develop - e.g. gunk, dirt, etc

DC

Pure gas and a stabilizer will keep fuel fine for at least a year.  I store my HPX over the summer for 5 months with the same fuel as you have,no issues.This year because of the pandemic I've been out less which is different than most. Took the boat out last week and it ran perfectly after 7 mos of storage.

• Like 2

If you arent running where there is nobody. I would run it. I have seen it is over thought about fuel sitting. Especially less than a year. If your tank is old aready, the old crap settles no matter what, I ran 1/2 tank of fuel that was over 1 year old thru a 2 stroke and it never skipped a beat. Talking 1 year old ethanol. Put a good filter on with a drain and let her rip! I bet you will be fine. Once again I wouldnt do this in the back of the glades or an area that you have to have a Sat phone. 

• Like 1