Deserted Beaches???

Ron in Atlanta

I know that many folks enjoy taking the boat to the "sand bar" and joining many other folks for a party.  Crab Island near Destin comes to mind.

Laurie likes nothing more than the opposite - wandering down a deserted beach somewhere looking for shells, turtle tracks and birds, e.g...

Beaches-4.thumb.jpg.c61c086df44e2820c03e24a51f921262.jpg

Cape Sable

Beaches-1.thumb.jpg.34dcb847f9b1ffd57d08ddc0ec643d19.jpg

St George Island East End

You guys spend a lot of time out there.  Any suggestions (within 600 miles of Atlanta)?

• Like 2

I am a fellow Georgian like you Ron but last year my wife and I took my teenage daughter and her  girlfriend to North Captiva for a week . We took my bay boat but the Redfisher would have worked fine. We went to the beach at Cayo Costa  State Park and we loved it . Here is a link https://www.narcity.com/amp/cayo-costa-state-park-has-the-best-untouched-beaches. You have to pick the right day as it can be a little rough to beach/anchor a boat. Here is a picture of my bay boat there on a perfect day.

FC54D282-ED34-4928-9BC4-891719F9331D.jpeg

• Like 1

Wahoossi, you definitely found one of the most beautiful and pristine areas in Southwest Florida. I have lived in Tampa my whole life and the area from Captiva up to Gasparilla Island (Boca Grande) is my idea of paradise. I hate to admit it to this "fishing" forum, but when I am down there with my wife and two daughters we spend as much time anchored off the beach at Cayo Costa as we do fishing. It's all about family time!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey Ron, I haven’t been there since my childhood in the 80’s but we use to leave out of Mexico Beach and head to several deserted beaches in between there and Panama City.  It was near the Tyndall Air Force Base if I do remember correctly.  We also spent a fair amount of time off of Cape San Blas but I’m sure it’s been built up quite a bit since then.  

12 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

wandering down a deserted beach somewhere looking for shells, turtle tracks and birds, e.g...

Just don't pick one up and take a shell to the boat in Everglades National Park..I know a guide, Mike Merritt who was fined $$$ and banned from the ENP for 3 months by a judge when a client of his was seen taking a shell off a beach during a lunch stop - a FWC saw the fisherman on the beach and then searched the boat....the guide did not even know the client had taken the shells.

DC

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Just don't pick one up and take a shell to the boat in Everglades National Park..I know a guide, Mike Merritt who was fined $$$ and banned from the ENP for 3 months by a judge when a client of his was seen taking a shell off a beach during a lunch stop - a FWC saw the fisherman on the beach and then searched the boat....the guide did not even know the client had taken the shells.

DC

Thanks for that FYI. Did not know that. As usual you a wealth of knowledge. Happy New Years to you and yours. Fin😀👍🙏 

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Just don't pick one up and take a shell to the boat in Everglades National Park

Thanks for the reminder, Dino.  I knew that, but many others most likely do not.  A good tip.

I think we may have violated some other national park rules however...you know there is never anyone around, you just rubbed suntan oil all over each other, there is a convenient palm tree to brace against...💕💕💕.  Whatever that fine may be, trust me, it's worth it.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

Thanks for the reminder, Dino.  I knew that, but many others most likely do not.  A good tip.

I think we may have violated some other national park rules however...you know there is never anyone around, you just rubbed suntan oil all over each other, there is a convenient palm tree to brace against...💕💕💕.  Whatever that fine may be, trust me, it's worth it.

Happy New Year!

Ron, you must have been listening to some Clarence Carter down on that beach......maybe some of Clarence’s Stroking Music.

1 hour ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

hink we may have violated some other national park rules however...you know there is never anyone around, you just rubbed suntan oil all over each other, there is a convenient palm tree to brace against...💕💕💕.  Whatever that fine may be, trust me, it's worth it

After the Donzi post and it's history and now this....I want to be RON in Atlanta in my next life :)

dc

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I want to be RON in Atlanta in my next life

First of all, thank you Inshore1 and Wahoosi for those great tips, Cayo Costa  State Park looks especially promising.

Dino, one more story (remember, I was 47 when I first got married).  For years I keep a beautiful C&C sailboat in Mystic, CT.  Only a 4 to 6 hour sail to Block Island.

1289925609_MidnightFlyer-3.thumb.jpg.808bae297f57b9741142850161fbdbe6.jpg

One of my favorite "crew" back then was this bird lover...

LC-5.thumb.jpg.d698e16e313a458024f521fe7902459b.jpg

I have many other photographs, none of which are suitable for this forum🙂.  She was a great sailor, crewed for me when we raced but on a leisurely sail out to Block Island, once we got out into the Ocean, she would go up to the foredeck, stretch out and work on her all-over tan.

We were half way to Block when I saw the Block Island Ferry in the distance coming toward us.   This is a stock photo of the ferry.

biferry.thumb.png.49ba69de9f65ddefb57ebd407e0f1302.png 

The ferry was a good distance away and the ocean was empty.  My gal pal was fast asleep up on the foredeck and I didn't want to disturb her so I turned a little to starboard.  Unfortunately, the ferry turned a little to port.  She was going to pass a couple of hundred yards away but I figured that although on this hot summer day there were at least 300 tourists on the top deck, in the middle of the ocean, no one would notice the small sailboat going the other way with the beautiful foredeck ornament.

Not for the last time, I was dead wrong.  As the ferry passed abeam I could hear one very loud voice coming from the top deck, "Holy S**t George, look at that!!!"  With that, a couple of hundred tourists ran over and crowded the port rail of the upper deck.  I swear I saw the ferry list a few degrees to port.

I don't think I ever mentioned this to Linda and I guess a few summer tourists have some good vacation snapshots from their day visit to Block Island.

Happy New Year, wishing everyone a much better year than this one has been.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I raced a C&C 34 all over LIS and Block island area for 20 yrs,back in the 80"S

What was the name of your boat?!  Where was its home port?  We may have raced against each other at Block Island Race Week or Off Soundings.  Aside from my C &C 29, "Midnight Flyer", I used to race on a C&C 36, "Bonnie Lass".  Also on Dennis Posey's custom 35, "Firebrand", "Rabbit", a Soveral 30 owned by Bill Chew and some others.

Let's see a photograph of the "Lobster Boat".  I think Hinckley stole your idea for their spectacular Picnic Boat line.

Happy New Year.

My C&C was "Showdown", Willmington,Del. Boat was documented,home port was Rye,NY. American YC.  I'll get a Picture of my Lobster boat a Wilbur Dirigo 31 ft,and yes it is  like the Picnic boat.  We are now in Essex,Ct with that boat as well as Hewes 20ft LT for striper fishing. Love the area.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, polliwog said:

My C&C was "Showdown", Willmington,Del. Boat was documented,home port was Rye,NY. American YC.  I'll get a Picture of my Lobster boat a Wilbur Dirigo 31 ft,and yes it is  like the Picnic boat.  We are now in Essex,Ct with that boat as well as Hewes 20ft LT for striper fishing. Love the area.

Wow, Essex Island Marina was our favorite go to marina with dinner at Griswolds Inn.

3 hours ago, polliwog said:

I have never posted a picture here what is the trick,can't find any info on the site. 

Copy them over to your computer.  When creating a post on this site, there is a place at the bottom of the page where you can simply drag the resulting photo files to that location, then click the "Plus Sign" on each photo to insert into the text.

Also, check your messages, I sent you one with more detail than I wanted to put out on the main forum.  Also, take pictures with a camera, not a telephone.  Sorry, I always have to rag on folks about using their telephone to take photographs.  

Out on Lake Lanier yesterday, saw some Common Loons fishing...

Lake_Lanier_Jan_2021-26.thumb.jpg.28bc9fad5ea75fc2135705ea18db9976.jpg

Lake_Lanier_Jan_2021-27.thumb.jpg.93d75656d81a54e0e4d1ed824740cc67.jpg

Try that with an iPhone 🙂

5 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

Sorry, I always have to rag on folks about using their telephone to take photographs.  

Ron, 

You are showing your age !!! All the young people are using iPhones for their Instagram, Tick-Tok, facebook, whatever....learn a DSLR ?  Oh, wow, that would take some time and concentration...they would have to take two Adderals to focus on this.....

Have you not seen the marketing of the new Iphone12 - it has more power than some of the early DSLR's.....amazing...combine that with editor APPS and you have very little work with a hand camera.....

DC

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2021 at 2:51 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

it has more power than some of the early DSLR's.

Dino,

Yes, Apple and others have realized that many folks are taking tons of photographs with a device that was originally an, er, er?? Oh, that's right, a MOBILE TELEPHONE.  With this knowledge and the fact that everyone already has a usable cell phone, they decided to improve the built in camera hoping to get folks to upgrade for the better camera.  

Good marketing - terrible camera.

Yes, the resolution is getting better (not 47.9 megapixels like my Nikon) but acceptable for, as you said, social media BS. But try this with your phone...

Florida_Dec_2014-16.thumb.jpg.eb055e394f1e207db799a60305e54381.jpg

or

1129466012_FloridaApril2018-34.thumb.jpg.cf1006af40194145a5a08e323700bbfc.jpg

or

1843728000_FloridaDec2016-19.thumb.jpg.af4df9f426e150fd9d160940faf03a0f.jpg

The reason I can do that and the reason I still like the camera over the phone is because you look through a view finder.  Remember that movie about the US Army sniper from Texas, played by Bradley Cooper?  I guess he shot dozens of "bad guys" from great distances.  Did he hold up his 50 cal rifle in front of him at arms length looking at a screen to aim or did he close one eye and sight through a scope (a view finder).

1864115543_BradleyCooper.jpg.06e56a0faf4d6cb1ae21702f4faf4c62.jpg

There is a lot of other stuff, e.g., 1/6000 of a second shutter speeds, exposure compensation, various auto focus options, etc. but the ability to track and then shoot a target through a viewfinder is my main reason for still preferring the camera over the phone...

1672903876_DiamondGirl-4.thumb.jpg.30d1cd5d56706e1dac57b8e7a565be2f.jpg

Opie-1.tif

11 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

but the ability to track and then shoot a target through a viewfinder is my main reason for still preferring the camera over the phone...

Ron

Like you, I love the challenge and "art of the capture-as I call it", with photography, as you know, we are taking a moment in time (bird flying overhead / dog running) that WILL NEVER TAKE PLACE AGAIN.  It's gone - the moment is over.  As a photographer - whether it be with an Iphone12 (many of the "hipsters") have developed some good skills, add photoshop and you have "digital" art as they call it, but, for those with a DSLR, you think through all the aspects of the composition to create that moment.

I used to do a lot of the modeling work when I was in Atlanta and was also doing technical food photography and of ourse the fish shots....I don't have a lot of time anymore due to work....but, I still love the hobby and maybe will get more involved with it again next year when I might be able to retire.

I think the social medial platforms have created a sense of urgency for recognition with selfies and other simplistic videos such as Tick-Tok that require very little actual expertise.  As you said, the "PHONE IS GOOD ENOUGH" - IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PHOTO OR IMAGE - IT'S WHO IS IN IT AND OK IS USUALLY GOOD ENOUGH.

here are a few examples of what I mean....i know Ron knows all of this stuff...so, as i explain for others it's more about the how for those who might be interested.

my wife and I went to a Jazz Club and I wanted to capture the '"ESSENCE" of the evening....so I captured moments that were focused upon the  location and JAZZ artists....

47056509601_2c505adf43_3k.jpgUntitled by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

this shot is all about controlling DOF  - depth of field.

We paid to be up front so I was able to shoot the piano player, via glass and I had to adjust the DOf and focal point to blur out the foreground and background...the subject was the piano player...

NIKON D700 - 50mm - Sigma F1.4 SP-90 ido 1600

47056512051_043c58f193_3k.jpgUntitled by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

and then the artist with the sultry sound of the bass.....all i could remember watching during the performance was his hands moving up and down the instrument.....so that was important to me....

47056512591_96b1b779e7_3k.jpgUntitled by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

47056512221_0ebe4257af_h.jpgUntitled by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

And of course there is street shooting which was one of my favorites when I used to travel internationally....market in Guatemala, a gypsy woman  and bartender in Spain, and of course who cannot love a few hours in my studio years ago :)

For the grandmother in the market..i stalked her for about 10 min with camera at the ready trying not to be seen, when she pulled up the baby i had about 6 seconds to compose the shot......she saw me and then let me take a few more...when i used to walk the markets...i had a roll of $ bills to give out as thank you....the shot of the little girl and her brother cost me a few $$$ she was a tough negotiator....

7761736350_54230c78bf_3k.jpgIn The Terminal Market - Antingua Guatemala by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

7761749774_c5ed921b05_3k.jpgIn the Terminal Market - Antigua Guatemala by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

before the $2....

7761741420_4c2773bf16_3k.jpgIn The Terminal Market Antigua Guatemala by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

After the $3

7761744284_f8fca6090b_3k.jpghotel antigua-4 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

I was doing some town assistance with our team at Pepsi and I was out in the rural areas....this brother and sister were walking and stopped in front of me...i grabbed the camera and captured her looking into the door way...your eyes go up and right and then back to see her brother looking in to see what's happening...i wanted complete DOF control so she and the brother were the focus...with the background blurred intentionally you capture the essence of the little girl and it's not lost int he background clutter.

11099837285_1e9d6f0bc3_3k.jpgBrother and Sister by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

7161404445_02b2207366_4k.jpgGypsy woman and child in Cordoba by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

7346660940_68ded54509_3k.jpgSmall bar owner in Plaza Mayor in Segovia by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

AND HERE IS ONE TOTALLY ABOUT CAMERA CONTROL - YOU CAN'T DO THIS ONE ON AN IPHONE ;)

7424645658_097a6f948d_4k.jpgThe Flour Shot by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

these are  all about lighting and control of it....

7424637666_ff0d4d160c_4k.jpgMerisa by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

6816927890_bf568e71e7_3k.jpg_D7K0930-2 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

THE SNOOK PIMP HIMSELF...I FEEL THIS IS ONE OF MY BEST SHOTS AND CAPTURES THE ESSENCE OF THAT MOMENT IN JUPITER....releasing a snook, open fisherman passing in the background...If you look at this photo, your eyes are drawn to what DonH is looking at, the release of the snook, your eyes go down his arm to the Boca Grip....you look at the snook, with its head tilted upwards and your eyes move tot he moving open fisherman....the photo is complete....that was a great day....

8450881174_d989ba22d5_k.jpgDSC_2569 2 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

Some food set up....purely technical with a lot of Macro lenses and depth offend stuff and back lighting...we were doing labels for a brand in Guatemala

8517353385_01641676a0_h.jpgThe Set up For veggie shoot (iphone pic) by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

8517353525_d708ae2d4d_b.jpgThe set up - note below table strobe (iphone pic) by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

8517706336_68b336b989_3k.jpgVeggie 2 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

and one of my favorites when we had dinner at Little Palm Island in the Keys....it was all about Depth of field composition...

15276356563_549a04125e_3k.jpglittle palm small-1 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

15870185846_3c05ecfdd0_h.jpglittle palm small-2 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

And of course my favorite MUSE :) 

5093354216_81aed7bd14_3k.jpgIvette Pumpkins by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

..when i review my FLICKR site and see the photos, it brings me and others back to that exact point in time....I can tell you the exact time, place, and reason for the capture of that moment....

And yes, you are correct.....try doing some of this on an IPHONE....but, who would have thought we'd have 24/7 news and high speed internet at your finger tips 26 years ago...

DC