Trolling battery replacement

Iwannafish

Kind of feel dumb asking this question cause I always thought I had pretty fair mechanical skills but I'm stumped on this. Need to replace the TM batteries on RF16. They're located under the seat on the front of the console. It seems no matter how I turn these around inside the console box I can't gain enough room/clearance to be able to remove them. This old man is getting tired of wrestling with these things. Really didn't think I'd have to be able to solve Rubick's cube to change batteries. Any help would be appreciated.

After letting my frustration p*** I rethought the job and believe your ideas on thru the front of the console after removing the shelf is going to be the way. Just think it's kind of dumb to have an access hatch that you can't use for change out- just for inspection and making connections.

On replacing the batteries in the center console on a RF you are going to have to remove the storage shelf. Better yet, I loosen the rear bolts on the shelf and remove the front ones completely. That way you can push the shelf 'up/tilt' and out of the way to remove the batteries. Once that is done you will have to grab both batteries and move them in unison (sp?) (twisting) side to side to get the one you want aligned with the seat lid hole to remove it. You will have to reverse this process to re-***emble them. I hope I explained it well enough for you to picture what I wrote.

Flat rate time is 3 cold beverages, some sweat and a few choice words here and there! LOL

P.S. I forgot a couple cuts on your knuckles for good measure!!

After removing the thermal breaker and a couple of nuts holding the rod holders and disconnecting all wires going to batteries I was able to fannagle the batteries into a position that gave me JUST enough clearance to remove them. Didn't have to remove the shelf. Replaced them with a pair of Optimas that went in and fit much nicer.

Archived