MBG acquired by Malibu Boat Group

Tails Up

Go look at old bayliner hulls. I bet you will not find as many spider cracks and void chips as in much more expensive boats. The interior was cheap and would rot out from under you but to be fair the ads for bayliner actually admitted they were the cheapest boat motor trailer combo in the industry. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

My buddy's first boat was a (Bayliner) Trophy and a Force engine.    We spent a LOT of time vertical jigging off of that thing . . because we had no other choice while waiting for SeaTow.   I learned a lot from his mistake about doing some research before buying a brand.    

That was the first boat and motor when moved here back in 87. It was a year old and paid 5k. Bought it because my son missed boating as did I. Looked new with 50hrs on it. Kept it for four years till the right boat came along. First boat I let my son use by himself. 13 years old not counting my inflatable that was on my SF up north.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

My buddy's first boat was a (Bayliner) Trophy and a Force engine.    We spent a LOT of time vertical jigging off of that thing . . because we had no other choice while waiting for SeaTow.   I learned a lot from his mistake about doing some research before buying a brand.    

That is so funny, but true. I still remember to this day my Dad trying to get that 105hp Force to run on his "pride and joy" boat. Came home from work one day and it was not on the boat's transom, was in the back of his pick-up heading to the scrap metal guy for it's final farewell!!!  :)

• Like 1

Didn't see it coming but then again, it's what being a business is all about. As for the thought that changes or expanding a brand is a bad thing, Dana White would beg to differ. Don't blame the owners at all. Was already a cutthroat environment but with the COVID hype bs making production that much harder, more expensive and longer lead times, who wouldn't want to get out on top. Besides, my old '94 MA17 just shot up in value even if it looks like somebody else in here got the drill crazies with it also...no names...lol

• Like 1

To get an idea of possible changes just look at Persuit down the road.

I believe that  Malibu owns them.

Consolidation among boat manufacturers  with other boat manufacturers worries me less than nonmanufactures or wall street hedge fund people getting involved.

like others have alluded to I  wonder about the economy and  timing. 

Hello, new to the forum

2015 2400trs and 2008 malibu vlx. Kids used to compete in wakeboarding. A tremendous amount of research went into the wake boats. We chose  malibu because of there reputation in that field of boats, construction is top notch, as well as resale value. Same reasons we just recently purchased our pathfinder. I just hope that both brands keep up with what we expect.

• Like 2

I have to say that what I know of Malibu, they are top tier boats for what they are built for. It is just a fact that many of us on this forum have no use for them. But if MBG starts a Malibu boats forum for wake boarding, hydrosliding (sorry old guy here) and slalem or competition skiing that forum would probably be just as popular as this forum. Just my 2 cents.