Tarpon fishing

SeaSerpent123

Taking my kids out tomorrow and going to get some live pilchards. I know, not mullet but I guess it's the next best thing.   My question is this.  Should I rig a 6 foot leader with a 8 ounce sinker on it to keep the bait along the bottom for tarpon?  Never really targeted them before but figured I would hit channel 2 or 5 bridge.  Would love to watch my now grown son and daughter hook a big one and struggle.  lol Would be hilarious!  

Depends on the time of day and how hard the current’s ripping. 8oz feels a little heavy at channel 2 or 5. Barrel sinker half that size should do. I like columns 68-70 down south and 6’ 60-80lb leader should do nicely. Keep an eye out for Don in a beat up flats boat (looks a little like a Carolina skiff).  If there’s mullet around he’ll sell you a couple. If you get some keep your livewell lid down or they jump right out. Tip him and he’ll give you a couple dead mullet you can chunk with. Good luck.

• Like 1