Trailer hub Temps?

Headhunter

I got a nifty electronic temp sensor for northern tool and thought I would check the temps of my trailer hubs and found the following after about an hour of towing at about 50mph.

The two front hubs were 110 degrees

The left rear was 128 and the right rear 138.

So, my question is What should they be?

Thanks in advance for the good info.

Mine are usually in that range.

I also see a temperature variance from side to side. So far the higher temp has been on the "sunny" side of the trailer. Guess it makes sense. I have also seen several pounds difference in tire pressure from the "sunny" to shaded side as well.

On the hottest summer days while running the Interstate, all mine are about 110 degrees. Like Grant said, the sunny side is usually about 5 degrees warmer.

The fact that your front hubs are 18 to 28 degrees cooler that the rear hubs makes me thing that your castle nuts are over tightened on the rears or the back axle is carrying more weight than the front.

Is your trailer sitting level behind your tow vehicle?

I was just thinking about this topic the other day because my rear hubs are always warmer to the touch than the front ones. I just figured the rear brakes worked harder, but maybe it is a weight distribution issue.

However, I did have a grease cover pop off a few months ago because a caliber locked up.

Yes, sitting level and the boat is snugged up tight to the winch. It's a welded bunked trailer so I don't know how much wiggle room I have to move it on the trailer

The bunks may be welded but the winch stand is not. Before I'd move anything, I'd put a scale under the jack-stand and see what the tongue weight is with the trailer sitting level. To determine level, park on relatively level ground and measure from the I-beams to the ground (front and back). If the distance is the same, then both axles are carrying about the same weight. Use the jack stand to raise or lower until the trailer, until the distances are the same, then observe the tongue weight. Should be about 10 to 15 percent to the total weight of the entire rig.

Archived