Flats Boat - Ready to buy!

csmith30259

CSmith - if this is your first flats boat, you've come to the right place. Folks on here can help you know what to look for. Not every flats boat is the same, and depending on what you will be doing with it, a "great" flats boat can become mediocre. My MA is ideal for me, because I don't pole it, often have to run big water, and need the extra room that the MA beam allows for. But if I had to push that thing across the flats on a windy day, it would probably kill me.

Let us know what you are planning to do with it!

Was doing the same research over 15 years ago which lasted a few more years. Found out shorter poles flats easier & could also go off beaches for tarpon. Questioning that 16'2" flats boat poling may be going the way of bay boat deep dropping due to health; as it might be time for the driveway trailer queen to be paired up again. Only difference was BIA ratings, where most then were stamped for 3 persons & around 500 lbs. or less. Didn't know that many 150 lb or less fly fishers anywhere to actually fish.

Hey Fellas -

Looking to purchase my first flats boat. Looking for an ActionCraft, Hewes or similar within the 20-22K range with a 4-stroke 115-150. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Starting to get into some tarpon/redfish fly fishing, now all I need is a boat!

Thanks!

Corey

Where are you located?

I fished Biscayne Bay in my buddy's Action Craft. It was a normal day not really choppy, but I seemed to get soaked from the "Qui-Dry hull (maybe not all that dry). Then we took my Master Angler 17 on a different day. When we were all done for the day and getting back in my truck my buddy says, "man, today was so different I didn't get an ounce of spray on me!" I looked over at him and said, "well that because we fished in a Maverick!"

This story is certified true, no BS.

Keep in mind your on a maverick boat co website, so obviously we are going to be somewhat loyal to the brand. If I was looking for a poling skiff or bay boat, the maverick and pathfinder would def be on the list. However for a "flats" boat, Hewes just doesn't do it for me since the model changed. I would give the AC the edge, especially the 1890 - what a beast of a boat.

You really need to provide more info about how and where you are fishing for a better response.

I think you need to state your parameters as the variables are significant. If you only want to pole the flats in very skinny water the a Mitzi skiff or Ranger Ghost might be the ticket. If you would like to chase Tarpon on the beach or go after Cobia the aforementioned might be uncomfortable.

My suggestion would be to take a couple of charter trips in the water you would be fishing in, evaluate the boats, ask the captain what he likes and dislikes about them. That will provide you with "some" information to make a decision. Research is your best friend when you are considering spending that amount of money.

Hey guys,

Im looking for something that I can use in both freshwater and salt water near the gulf towards St. George Island. I live up in Atlanta, GA. I want to be able to b*** fishing (have a lakehouse in Alabama) as well as do some good fly fishing for redfish/tarpon to pole on the coast. Ideal draft of 8"-10" I think would do the trick.

What he said, granted we're both probably a little biased but he's right. All I pretty much do is fly fish out of mine, and he does everything out of his. Finding one in your price range may be challenging but they pop up every once in awhile. Good luck with your search, whatever you end up getting.

Hey Fellas -

Looking to purchase my first flats boat. Looking for an ActionCraft, Hewes or similar within the 20-22K range with a 4-stroke 115-150. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Starting to get into some tarpon/redfish fly fishing, now all I need is a boat!

Thanks!

Corey

Corey,

given what you are describing, I think the most important purchase is not the boat, but the trailer.

If you are going to be such serious traveling, be sure to buy a used skiff and a new trailer....anything in the 20-25K range will most likely have a fairly used trailer...

Get a new trailer, have your tires balanced with metal stems and enjoy....a skiff...

Sounds like a used Hewes RF or even a 1810 Pathy would fit your needs....

Enjoy.....the search..it's part of the fun.

dc

Archived