Charging system

imsnookyrd

I need some trouble shooting tips if possible on my 200HPDI. I had my battery load tested and it is good but I don't get any charge voltage when I read across the terminals. I read 12.5v but it is my understanding it should be + or - 13.6v. Have checked fuses and wiring all good no corrosion so looking for a way to check rectifier/regulator. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I believe the red wire coming off the regulator goes to a fuse then to the battery. Sounds like you have already checked that.

Not sure of how you would check the actual regulator as it is solid state. I do know they can be very sensitive to loose wires or bad connections. Something as simple as someone turning a battery switch position while the engine is running can blow them.

You will need to be at higher than idle to see much over 12.5 volts from the alternator. If all is normal at higher RPM you should see any where between 13 and 14 volts most of the times depending on the electrical load.

Been a while since I have messed with one. :blush:

I had a similar issue with a F115 but mine was because I was running a large AGM battery and apparently my year F115 weren't compatible with them. Just a thought if you have an AGM battery. Good luck.

Interesting point....

I have the 2Stroke yamadog 50, 1998.

Both the dealer and the battery manufacturer (DEKA Distb) did not recommend a AGM. While I have two 27's for my trolling motor, I went with the wet cell 27 for my house battery as they said the small stater could have issues with AGM's.

Boat Center Mechanic stated that 99% of the time you might not have a problem; however, when you do, it's very hard to diagnose.

dc

Archived