6.0 powerstroke... yay or nay?

FINCHASER

Anyone running one? need input Ive got a line on a super clean like new one with 68k mi. I know the potential issues... seems opinions are split on the WWW but I have 2 people I know have them and not having any significant issues.

Considering this one as its a possible better option to going out and dropping 30-50k on 1/2 ton... new or used

He's right don't take it from the people who haven't owned one, but id try and listen to more than a couple who have. Their are plenty of diesel forums where this topic has been discussed at length. Pick one and do your homework.

In the spirit of above comment, I won't speak to my opinion on them. I will say however say these two facts:

20 years my my father never had a Chevrolet in his work fleet until after 6.0 experiences.

The price that intrigued you is because they have a low resale value. Unless you plan on keeping it forever, that will be your issue to deal with once you buy it.

I had the head studs done on mine and also did the blue spring upgrade. Just get the studs done/egr delete done, run the correct coolant and oil and monitor your EGT/EOT delta readings. A combination of those things and you should be good to go.

Oh and the sound of the 6.0 whistle is sure to put a smile on your face :)

He's right don't take it from the people who haven't owned one, but id try and listen to more than a couple who have. Their are plenty of diesel forums where this topic has been discussed at length. Pick one and do your homework.

In the spirit of above comment, I won't speak to my opinion on them. I will say however say these two facts:

20 years my my father never had a Chevrolet in his work fleet until after 6.0 experiences.

The price that intrigued you is because they have a low resale value. Unless you plan on keeping it forever, that will be your issue to deal with once you buy it.

Actually listening to others is part of the problem cause you don't know if they are talking about early or late model motors... early models is SAID to have been the ones that were horrible and ford made corrections to parts to later models. Also you don't know how they treated them... granted Ford def messed up but adding power and towing extreme loads could have been the culprit. Example is your dads.... what year were they?

Fin,

Any particular reason you want a diesel?

What are you towing which requires a diesel?

Only reason I purchased another diesel is because I had to for towing purposes.

Not opposed to a G***er and don't NEED a diesel but I love that body style of truck and like the mileage the diesel gives and longevity with the motor as I would be keeping it for a long time...also the extra towing ability would be nice... never know what boat I might end up wanting one day. Plus that's pretty much the only time a diesel pays off is if youre gonna keep it for the the long run, such as my current one with 413,xxx miles (7.3)

I had the head studs done on mine and also did the blue spring upgrade. Just get the studs done/egr delete done, run the correct coolant and oil and monitor your EGT/EOT delta readings. A combination of those things and you should be good to go.

I didn't mention this in my first post - cause I've never "owned" one - , but your claim that all they need are maintence is so false and you made the point for me. They need alot of stuff, like you obviously did to yours. That has to be factored into buying price (couple $k) if not done, so...

Duolicate post

I didn't mention this in my first post - cause I've never "owned" one - , but your claim that all they need are maintence is so false and you made the point for me. They need alot of stuff, like you obviously did to yours. That has to be factored into buying price (couple $k) if not done, so...

Sorry not trying to remove you from the conversation at all since you haven't had one. I didn't mean to put off that vibe. :confused:

Also I should have called it preventative maintenance instead.

Bottom line is are they a cheap truck to own?...no they are not.

But if you find one that has had some of the work done and

keep up with maintaining the engine you should have good luck. I love driving mine daily and like the OP mentioned I also enjoy the body style.

Btw mine is an 06. And the only thing I have done is the blue spring upgrade ($75). The ARP studs were done when I bought it.

Finn, I put 3 6.0s in my ford at my expence because I loved my 550.. they last about 100k..one threw a rod threw the block, others blew the head gasket... the studs are part of the fix, there is an upgraded head gasket that goes with it.. I love ford's and have owned several 250s, 350s,, I was in the towing business for 20 years... under no circumstances would I buy that motor again!!!! The person I sold my 550 to put a Cummings in it and loves it...

The magic of the 6.0 is in the VGT (variable geometry turbo),, the fins rotate to grab maximum boost almost instantly, even at low rpms... it's what gives that motor such quick throttle response. .. those years of diesels everyone struggled b/c of all the emissions it wasn't just a ford problem. .. they also changed the amount of sulfur in the fuel... the lack of sulfur, which is a lubricant caused your injectors to bind up,, both GM and ford have injector probs... I bought lots of injectors over the years as well...

I picked up a super clean 2005 King Ranch F250. It was a one owner. I had the ford dealer run the Oasis reports which shows all warranty work done on the truck. It had nothing done to it. So far I've added the blue spring mod, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust(no cat,no muffler), Sinister coolant filter and oil filter. Truck has 180k miles on it. Runs like a champ. I was very sceptical of buying a 6.0 but now I'm glad I did!

I had an early one and ford did a buy back. The thing was on a tow truck 5 times in 1 year. It finally blew up.

My buddy got rid of his with the lemon law.

I have 2 friends that took them to a place up in Georgia and had them do the bullet proof deal to them. So far so good and they are fast after these mods were done. But the mods were several thousand dollars. You just gotta factor that in.

Personally the 6.0 was the worst experience I have ever had with a new truck and I have owned 15 or so F-250 diesels. Still have 1 7.3 and my mate bought my 99 7.3 Both have over 350K on them.

I think they all have some issues now due to fuel quality and emissions. Heck my current 6.7 blew a head gasket at 38K. Can't say I was very happy to see the cab off my 60K truck hanging in the air.

Archived