Thoughts on a keel guard

localangler

So my PF 2200v came with a keel guard (the heavy rubber strip) to protect it when it was beached. I didn't mind it at first even though I knew it was increased drag and what not but now it has come loose. So my question here is has anyone put one on or removed one and if so what were the changes in performance? Was it noticeable or not. I'm trying to decide if I just want to take it off or try and save it. I'm leaning towards cutting of the loose tail on the trailing end and seeing if I notice a change at all.

While on plane it shouldnt be in the water at all. You can mark you gunnels with a peace of tape even with the trailing edge of the guard while it's on the trailer and then while you're running see if it's actually in the water at all by looking at the spray off the hull bottom.

If it's loose you need to pull it off or try to secure it back to the hull. You don't want it holding water against the gelcoat. If you want to remove it, WD40 is an excellent adhesive remover and milder than acetone. I pulled one off my Dad's boat, it's not that hard, especially if there already a loose spot to grab ahold of.

On My MA17 I had last year, it had a keel guard and was very loose. Whoever installed it didn't do a great job. The boat was stored on a Jet Dock so it was needed, unfortunately the rollers on the Jet dock would snag on it and pretty much the back/tail end 3' was loose. So bad that if it got infront of the roller it would prevent the boat coming off at the ramp.

I cut the flap off, noticed a big difference in the turns when on plane, it was not creating the drag. I contacted Megawear and emailed them photos and told them what happened. I wasn't original purchaser/owner so I couldn't get a free replacement but she took like 65% off a replacement for me.

The old one came off easy, clean the area real well and make sure you line it up before you pull the backing off. After new install I didn't feel any drag or performance loss. I think they are good products and good customer service.

I will be adding one to my Pathfinder soon.

Mike

Archived