Buying a Maverick 21 MA

chrsRedfish

10 hours ago, chrsRedfish said:

Looking at getting a Maverick 21 Ma and want to know what to look out for. Ive seen some stuff about stringer issues and cracking. Can anyone give me insight into this?

there were some incidents back in 2005....due to incorrect laying of the glass...have any MA from 2004 or 2005 surveyed and checked with camera to the inner hull.

dc

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

there were some incidents back in 2005....due to incorrect laying of the glass...have any MA from 2004 or 2005 surveyed and checked with camera to the inner hull.

dc

Dino, thats news to me, I have never seen any reference to glassing issues after 2003.   Do you have any links?   However, I know that the pre 2003 versions had an issue withe the location of the seachest, which caused some structural issues in some boats.   

15 hours ago, chrsRedfish said:

Looking at getting a Maverick 21 Ma and want to know what to look out for. Ive seen some stuff about stringer issues and cracking. Can anyone give me insight into this?

A lot of 21 MA's were used by hardcore guides and or tournament fishermen.  They took a beating.  Early models were laid up very thin.  I have seen stringer issues, bulkhead issues and transom knee issues,  Also the 5lb putty gluing the cap floor to the stringers cracks and falls apart which leaves the cockpit floor to bounce and stress crack. 

Several 21's have been shown on this forum with the exact issues i am describing and i am sure you will get some PM's from owners or former owners describing their issues and fixes.  

If i were to purchase another 21 i would be looking for a 2008 or newer with good owner history.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Dino, thats news to me, I have never seen any reference to glassing issues after 2003.   Do you have any links?   However, I know that the pre 2003 versions had an issue withe the location of the seachest, which caused some structural issues in some boats.   

No links....that was 18 years ago....

I had stringer issues on my 22 Pathy 2005....it was completely covered under warranty and fixed better than new...at the time, i had portions of the hatches etc.  cleaned up and fixed......when  the entire deck was re-shot, and some other cosmetic items...I paid a few hundred dollars for the gelcoat, but, they cutout the floor and laid in the glass to fix the issue...so for the repair shop, it was not that big and issue....the boat returned like new after 3 years of use.

At the same time, there was a several other Pathy's that had the same series of the hulll numbers that had problems...learned of the issues though word of mouth....again, MHP stood by the warranty and all were fixed.....the MA's at the time were constructed during the same time period...from what we heard, there was a bad batch of fiberglass and stringers used during the lay up....again, this is hearsay.

DC

• 4 months later...