3rd trip to Flamingo 3-27-21

Well like usual, we got a nice early start and was launching the boat at sunrise.  Headed out and made it to the area we have been dong great at.  Tide was SUPER low, land out of the water low. lol  The area looked completely different and trees were out of the water that I have never seen before. lol  Managed a few small jacks and a super small lady fish.  I did put the lady fish out and hooked a big shark but of course it broke off.  We decided to leave the area and to be honest, I think that's the mistake I made. I should ahve given a little more time but that's in hind sight now.  Hit a few more areas with nothing to show but was working our way back to the dock.  It was WINDY as heck and everyone was fishing back sides of islands etc.  I did pull up to a shoreline blocked by the wind and finally caught a few snapper and a couple baby snook.  All in all, it was a great day.163563315_10224307900062693_8826072898425800573_n.thumb.jpg.9cc4c5eddc873bbdbf0da32ab338d890.jpg164540629_10224307899462678_6320954907096031501_n.jpg.1d7dd87a6ae8d750248fe5b1dc4f6efe.jpg165796372_10224307899862688_2902410279793607187_n.thumb.jpg.f766cc33b003f4e0ac960770e4969ed1.jpg165941510_10224307900262698_8848409556292981582_n.jpg.015b8135de264003209f39447e272400.jpg162844464_10224307899662683_728909423114154101_n.jpg.3c5d01cb2a30b0c5435b49c83f004e48.jpg164360682_10224307899222672_7028448502027673827_n.jpg.db205fd5cb1419c968792c759cf58a13.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

Would for sure like to explore more, especially closer to the marina like Hells Bay area or near Roberts river.  

HB - with the FMT you can get in...but, it can get really skinny very quickly....

River mouths up in WWB can produce....again, look for points with running water and fish out in front of them and as the water passes...

I see in one of your pictures you are fishing up on a shore line where the water is up in the mangroves...it's pretty much over once this happens in many cases...the reds will move into the mangroves and go rooting around for crabs and goodies in the mud.....larger snook will hang a bit farther out as they do not have the ability to move through the mangroves as easily as the reds....

Snapper are everywhere....just look for snags and cuts with moving water they are usually under them....

Get a TopSpot map and go to the spots and see why they are recommended....meaning, what makes them unique and then look for other areas.....pinch points between islands will normally hold fish....they are basically eating machines that don't want to move to much....snook's eyes are facing upwards and they will look for stuff coming above...e.g. a nicely drifted shrimp....reds face downward and willl root around....thus the popping cork pulls a shrimp off the bottom and they hear the click and puff from below....

Trout's eyes are looking up as well....flapping shads, gulp swimming mullets and Zman with a jig head will usually find them....

We fished Saturday choko....long story short....I was the king of the CATS with my buddy Mike....but, was better than cutting the lawn :)

DC

Super low spring tides present great opportunities to explore, lay down tracks, find areas with structure, etc. to fish when the tide is higher.  When the water is that low, you have to find nearby areas with even slightly deeper water--that's where the fish go when they have to leave the areas that will be too low at the bottom of these tides.  

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 4:04 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

HB - with the FMT you can get in...but, it can get really skinny very quickly....

River mouths up in WWB can produce....again, look for points with running water and fish out in front of them and as the water passes...

I see in one of your pictures you are fishing up on a shore line where the water is up in the mangroves...it's pretty much over once this happens in many cases...the reds will move into the mangroves and go rooting around for crabs and goodies in the mud.....larger snook will hang a bit farther out as they do not have the ability to move through the mangroves as easily as the reds....

Yes, you are correct in saying that area was done with.  We were pretty much as well at that point.  We were fishing the logs for snapper.  

I'll get it and keep trying for sure.  I think the reason why I want to fish hells bay is it's not so long of a run.  It takes me 2 hours in the truck to get to flamingo and then another hour out to shark.  Not terrible but when you look at the round trip, we are talking 6 hours travel time. lmao  It would be nice to find closer areas to give me more time fishing.  Fuel it not the issue, neither is the ride as it's beautiful. 

One thing I can think of was seeing many ambush points on the way to shark with the tide moving.  I never stopped which was probably a bad decision but that's in hind sight now.  That was along Joe's river.

Another issue I was having was getting use to the boat with the wind.   On a big CC in the middle of the ocean, it's not so hard and I make adjustments to hit the wreck on the drift but I was having issues with the wind either blowing me into (not really but close enough) submerged trees, shorelines etc.  Still getting use to the remote on the trolling motor and sometimes I wish I had a handle instead.  It's all a learning curve and I'll get it, I know I will.  

I still haven't caught a catfish yet....cough...knock on wood.  

On 3/30/2021 at 4:04 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

That was along Joe's river.

There is limited action in the Joe....

MudBay on the way has some fish that set up there when the water is cold...

TopSpot will give you some good ideas....

The other good investment...call Capt BoB LeMay and ask him for a day on the water as a teaching experience.....he fishes out of a classic MA like mine....and this will be similar to your RF.

SS: this fishery is about TOW - Time on Water....took me many years to get down Chokoloskee....I fish in Flamingo on occassion, I'll spend more time now that I have 40 gallons of range so I can run and drift the flats farther from the marina....

To be honest.....

You got spoiled with your first two trips (LOL)....those Reds and Trout were taunting you to find them again (LOL) :):)

As well....FLAMINGO AND CHOKO  are about being on the water with friends, talks BS, enjoying the day....away from boats, and always waiting for that big snook or red on the "last" cast.....as my partners COTO and Capt DonH always say....you only need one fish to keep you coming back and it makes the day......it's about the hunt, reading the water...the perfect cast, watching the "eat".

dc

• Like 4

Definitely time on the water. Fish move around, conditions change, lunar influence, tides, all kinds of stuff. I’ve fished flamingo for nearly 25 years and have been pretty consistent on finding fish. Some days it’s just harder than others to nail them where there at. What’s that saying 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. It all looks fishy out there and you think there is a snook on every shoreline or point...not.

I do a few casts at different locations on a point if I don’t get nothing right away, I move on. I definitely like looking for bait, birds, clean water, and moving water also. But sometimes no moving water yet there are mullet lines from clear to dirty muddy water you find predators working that. Just have to look for the signs. I also like working shadow lines...Dino can tell you about that, cause he stole a big snook from me that I enticed out..lol. Fish like to be comfortable too and they will lay in the shadow lines of shorelines. I usually work those than the one with the sun beating down on it. 

I just fished Port of the Islands last week and perfect example, I fished a particular shoreline that I fished before with no success but this time something peaked my interest. One boil in the water that I noticed, the next thing you know I landed 5 snook about 26” long on top water. Great start to the morning but, like I said been there before and NOTHING. 

I’m retiring June 30 and moving to Marco Island already have my home there. Now I have to learn the Goodland area which will be my launching point. I’m looking forward to exploring the new area. I will probably do bad at first but I’m sure with the amount of spare time I’ll be able to put in I will learn the lay of the land.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coto said:

Dino can tell you about that, cause he stole a big snook from me that I enticed out..lol.

Yes, that was one of my moments of greatness !!!

Coto waited just a few seconds too long, as he was on the bow of the RF21 he owned, and was fiddling with the trolling motor..I was leaning against the tower and saw a movement.....gulp swimming mullet into the shadows....game on....

it was glorious :)

BTW, we also have friends who will fish only one lure all day long and others who change baits, colors and types, 10-15 times a trip - all have success.

DC

• Like 1