Need some advice on mounting my new Minn Kota Raptors (powerpole alternatives)

850drew

So, I have a 2000 Maverick MA 18.5, boat currently has an old powerpole on it mounted to the transom.... I work for a boat dealership selling boats so lucky me I get a small discount on parts and we had 2 Minn Kota Raptors with active anchoring come in and I pulled the trigger and bought both with the intentions of mounting them to have a dual setup so I can fish docks without spinnng....  I know for fact 1 can go where the existing powerpole is now but am wondering if I should either go with dual transom mounts ( I would have to remove the port side D ring on the port side of the transom for the 2nd pole. 

OR

Should I spend the extra money to buy a dual bracket setup and then have someone fix the transom where the old powerpole was?..?. need some advice. IF I did go this route will the bracket work though with my poling platform? 

Anyone who is running dual poles on a MA any advice is appreciated.... you can see the D ring barely in the photo with the underwater lights.....20210308_175013.thumb.jpg.082c678f711849341a9f862bbe6f5a9e.jpg20210117_174226.thumb.jpg.48dff85df00574df5ac3f4333cbefacc.jpg

• Like 1

I know nothing about the new Raptors.  They appear to be PP copies.  I assume they sell plates to mount to the transom or jackplate?  I would definitely go with plates and have a glass shop close up the holes on the transom.  Plates allow you to remove them much easier for warranty work or upgrade.    

I'm sure I am not the only one that would like to hear how you rate the new Raptors.  Most if not all the people on this forum are Power Pole People (including myself).  Minnkota customer service leaves something to be desired but if you are in the industry perhaps you will get better treatment.  Good luck with them   

If it were power poles I’d say call them up and they will tell you exactly what brackets to buy to get them mounted. 
 I if the raptors have a plate to mount  from the motor I would do that and close the holes on the transom. 
 Should be nice having twins back there. 

I just went through this with my Pathfinder.  I repowered and added a PP.  I wanted to use the brackets but the off the shelf bracket would not clear the poling platform support stanchion. Discussed going a custom bracket route but cost kept going up so just went with transom mount. WfU8IxuIH6TP6xY4TzkgVOpsUvU39Phjd4n7p4O2G_gYzSMCFs0iTzvv-5VL_vjcXoqRur9tcvxQKHqbub1oz4O0YvgL9qA36JPI6oHSANL4uR_wmf7uP2IKHk3AuwecJfeiigPCQ0mbYN7RRPnZLSxai2y24XrYOg3k8vyyDJidUMPNFB0vMQ7pOsFmswWDH01y43Lqv-g6ow-5LruiWz8QbMmO9Gl05__WI0tkAwnrI1vJiKCPjQeq5cR9wFrrgCwqvmUeYsfKUoLieVCMQTq6wgSiU7VGmgw_4L-Y4OceeUYyRo0iSKQ3ywP589ZTytq25uZLHmzBXV_BcmisMkg_hyyHYOKIHczQGSnMbJq5X_EYer2mVrXZDTPShnSX-S7JCMuCuOFYZsAm1cQDyaK9VIh2JEW3tGT1vtkannvaJIc12CTKdJwOsEo3Vkqe3tz4fJDUdR_XO97mT9QJ3X_1cL6cKCIZHAiJ7Idd0n7yiBAZw8zbLUFyPmigDzpL9S-fAtH4_r6AxXoEBSbSXfiAbh84ieV8ps-FFx7Pm9LwbYUQbf7vR8OuuEB67RTlFJ1ZgS0kvnRn2Dbdook3EFvoElwGyWLwJ7qGupHAAZV6UPATf5VXGtsYqxbQhIMq-0znzHg0dtkpbZZ-21q6pJd8m7z5P8xo_MzLPNreQ39ZpmdaQckOTRn7aMZ5cgq46mtH12XK3fAiu2ZnIhjHv3jANA=w1164-h873-no?authuser=0

On 3/31/2021 at 8:55 PM, 850drew said:

Should I spend the extra money to buy a dual bracket setup and then have someone fix the transom where the old powerpole was?..?. 

Anyone who is running dual poles on a MA any advice is appreciated....

1. Yes.

2. Yes. I have an older MA and run dual PPs mounted to transom. I had one so for year or two and added another years back. Way back their brackets were not as versatile as they are now. I would not stern mount ever again as I have had to pull them off a few times for various reasons. I broke a mount a mount failed and w mounts the finish came off and PP warrantied and I have upgraded a couple of times. The brackets make the aforementioned easy. The width of the MA stern necessitates the anchors be deployed at about a 10 deg angle form max hole if mounted tight to platform. Which is where they. need to be to not interfere with fishability. I run PPs 10 deg wedges under mine but the brackets accomplish that nowadays.

For the lack of timing for now I went with just a single on the transom.... holes re the same as the powerpole so no new drilling needed... This winter I plan to do a full rewire, paint and some other work and figured this is the best option for now. I went with a single 8ft Raptor and I am VERY happy with it after 5 uses.... The active anchoring works incredibly well, I did post a quick review and thoughts on the FB group but deleted it after keyboard warriors couldn't not say anything positive on the anything and just wanted to debate the warranty and Customer service. ANYWAYS the ipilot remote can pair to it so I can run both off of the one remote if needed. (cool feature). Seems to really anchor up well also. 

Come winter time I will either have someone fabricate a mount off my poling platform or go with the bracket mounts. Ill post some pics here shortly!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...