Potential Ecological Disaster for Tampa Bay

Big Dave

You've probably read about the discharges from Piney Point.  Please feel free to copy and past my letter to Governor DeSantis and send one to him.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Governor DeSantis, first let me say that I am a big supporter of you and your administration and the job you have done thus far serving the citizens of Florida as our Governor. Thank you. That said, I do want to bring this to your attention.  

Apparently, the state has provided authorization for 400 million gallons of contaminated water from Piney Point phosphate gypsum stack to be released into Tampa Bay. I imagine that you are aware of the wonderful success story we have in the restoration of Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay was designated an “estuary of national significance” by Congress in 1990. The Tampa Bay Estuary Program (TBEP) undertook a longterm effort to reduce the impact from dredging activities and laid the plans for continuing restoration. Seagrass meadows have been restored through water quality improvements; tidal marsh, mangrove forests and oligohaline marsh was restored by surface water improvement. Tampa Bay, like South Florida and many other areas of Florida, is a vital component of the state’s economic well-being. Its beauty attracts millions of boaters, fishermen and tourists each year. Restoration of the Bay allowed us to protect a vital natural resource and safeguard the economic benefits upon which the region depends. Now that is in jepordy.  

Just as water degradation has negatively impacted Florida Bay, the waters of the Everglades, and areas on Florida’s coasts, these discharges from the Piney Point reservoirs could be disastrous for Tampa Bay, threatening to undo all of the progress that has been made towards its restoration. This is a matter of grave ecological and economic matter. PLEASE do all you can to stop these discharges and prevent the devastation. Please direct the FDEP to stop pumping wastewater into the Tampa Bay ecosystem. Finally, I implore you to lend all of your support to ensure success of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fully fund Everglades restoration, including full funding for all authorized CREP projects with the American Jobs Plan.

Thanks so much,

David B. Stoots
Plantation, FloridaGovernorGovernor DeSantis, first let me say that I am a big supporter of you and your administration and the job you have done thus far serving the citizens of Florida as our Governor.  Thank you.  That said, I do want avid B. Stoots

David Stoots
davidstoots@xxxxx
954.25X-XXXX
Psalm 18:2
Isaiah 40:28-31

Let's Go Fishing!
<“)}}}*><
Estuary Program (TBEP) undertook a longterm effort to reduce the impact from dredging activities and laid the plans for contse di

• Like 2

You did a amazing job with this letter . I have already contacted by e mail every politician that I could think of that possibly could help this situation in this area . I posted a topic a few days ago about this same subject . Thanks again for taking the time to write and post this letter . Hopefully if enough members contact politicians about this terrible problem that has already made over three hundred families evacuate there homes and is already doing possible damage to water , people , fish and the environment something will be done to control things in the future .  Joe R 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dabear said:

You did a amazing job with this letter . I have already contacted by e mail every politician that I could think of that possibly could help this situation in this area . I posted a topic a few days ago about this same subject . Thanks again for taking the time to write and post this letter . Hopefully if enough members contact politicians about this terrible problem that has already made over three hundred families evacuate there homes and is already doing possible damage to water , people , fish and the environment something will be done to control things in the future .  Joe R 

It's the least we can do.  

You really want to get mad?

This is precisely how scams are pulled off, because for the last 20 years, while we were barely paying attention to a potential environmental calamity, maybe the worst ever, a man with a large gyp-stack of money kept walking along and whistling, undetected by all.

His name is William Harley, the man associated with the company that owns Piney Point, and it is possible that he has pulled off one of the most disturbing swindles in the history of the state.

This is not to definitively say Harley has done anything criminal, not saying that at all, but it is to suggest that his business dealings surrounding Piney Point appear suspicious at the least and the fallout may be too far-reaching to comprehend.

It’s been alleged in a lawsuit that Harley, a hedge fund manager from New York, used money from unwitting investors to purchase Piney Point in northern Manatee County in 2006 for $4.3 million, and that he also used portions of the $108 million in assets he was managing to deal with the fallout of a 2011 wastewater spill into Tampa Bay.

Thanks for that interesting information Capt. Troy . Sad that I have not heard anything saying that they no longer going to store acid water this way . This is the third spill in this area that I am aware of since the late 1990’s . All we can do is hope that for some reason letting this large amount of acid water into the bay will not damage the area , killing of fish and vegetation like it has in the passed . It’s a crime to let anyone store hazardous materials this close to the bay of gulf .  Joe R 

Head north about 20 miles from Piney Point and there are two "gyp stacks" at Mosaic each one 20 times bigger than the ones in Manatee. True, they are still being maintained and Mosaic is still in business but there is always that chance something could happen. Let's hope for the best.

• 3 months later...