Is this a 1 off or custom?

CRC

• CRC changed the title to Is this a 1 off or custom?
5 minutes ago, CRC said:

ave I been in a closet or is this some kind of custom 1 off sled for 80k?  Or just COVID Crazy. 

Come out of the closet and welcome to the world of 2% interest rates for home refi so you can buy a $80K skiff that weighs 1000 plus lbs and suddenly everyone has decided they want to be a flats fisherman as they dont' don't spend money on vacations or travel......YEP WELCOME TO COVID CRAZY.

Why do you think that I am redoing my Skiff I bought for $11K three years ago...by the time I'm done, I figure I'll have $32-33K with new trailer and full restore...salvo engine...but, that's less than 1/3 almost of a new HB or HPX....go figure.....

:)

dc

• Like 4

It’s really difficult to fathom $80,000 for a piece of fiberglass . Often compare these skiff prices to a new car, a Mercedes for example with all the technology advances, etc. can get a hell of a car for that kind of money. Is skiff manufacturing so antiquated or supply and demand?

12 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

Credit means get it 

I drove by BASS PRO yesterday here off I-95.....

6 months ago, there were 20 offshore and near shore boats on the back side of the parking lot...Yesterday, one 30+ Mako with Trip Verados.

Yep, have credit....buy the boat....I wish I would be in the market for a boat in the next 36 months when all the newbie boat owners realize how much work owning one is and the "out of warranty" repairs begin and they are hit with $600 for engine tune ups, $$$$ for trailer repairs, gelcoat damage, etc. etc.

Be ready for a rash of boats coming into the market in 2024 as the guys realize that the $800 / month payment is no longer just payment and "gas" which will be probably $4.00 per gallon.........just in time for the next election :)

dc

• Like 3

3 years ago, I was biiting my nails over the idea of tearing apart my 20 year old MA and fixing it, vs. dumping it and starting all over.   In the end, I basically bought it twice, but ended up with the boat I wanted in the first place.   I kicked myself all the way for the money I was never going to get back. . . . and then this happened.   What a bizarre world that we are in, where boats actually seem to be appreciating!   

House prices in my neighborhood have literally doubled in the past few years.   The asking prices are mind boggling and you laugh quietly at the seller for being so greedy. . . and then you hear about competing offers and realize that maybe you are the idiot.   Hard to avoid throwing a for sale sign in the yard to see what happens . . . but then you are homeless cause you can't afford to buy anything else!

Of course, we all know what happens next . . . the only question is when.

• Like 2

"What a bizarre world that we are in, where boats actually seem to be appreciating! "  Agree 100%.

Im prepping for season 21 on my MA18, its still mint.  Close to selling it a few times but it checks off too many boxes.   Have your cash ready when this market pops / implodes!

Missed a couple Nice Gordon 18s at the beginning of Covid as a second boat- hind sight shudda grabbed one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CRC said:

Im prepping for season 21 on my MA18, its still mint.

Any pics ?

What is primary fishing area and what do you target ?

I made the decision to no longer head offshore, glad I did....time for $4 gas is on the way and the reefs here in So Florida will become a cluster....

A good friend who is a professional crabber, tailer, commercial fisherman told my buddy that essentially it's almost impossible to fish the reefs in the keys because of the number of boats on them....COMPLETE IDIOTS NOW PATROL THE REEFS without any understanding you can't go behind someone who is tailing in 60 feet of water and who's had a chum line out since 0430 in the morning and not drive the school down.....

8 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

3 years ago, I was biiting my nails over the idea of tearing apart my 20 year old MA and fixing it, vs. dumping it and starting all over.

Yep, I remember it was a tough decision, but, now things change...same here, when I thought about cutting up the Ghost, I was not sure how it would work out....now, I'm assured I'm safe (no fuel tank issue) and with a new trailer I can hopefully get another 10 years life out of her and pass her along to my grandson when I'm 75.

CRC - would be great to see some pics ...

dc

17 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Any pics ?

What is primary fishing area and what do you target ?

I made the decision to no longer head offshore, glad I did....time for $4 gas is on the way and the reefs here in So Florida will become a cluster....

A good friend who is a professional crabber, tailer, commercial fisherman told my buddy that essentially it's almost impossible to fish the reefs in the keys because of the number of boats on them....COMPLETE IDIOTS NOW PATROL THE REEFS without any understanding you can't go behind someone who is tailing in 60 feet of water and who's had a chum line out since 0430 in the morning and not drive the school down.....

Yep, I remember it was a tough decision, but, now things change...same here, when I thought about cutting up the Ghost, I was not sure how it would work out....now, I'm assured I'm safe (no fuel tank issue) and with a new trailer I can hopefully get another 10 years life out of her and pass her along to my grandson when I'm 75.

CRC - would be great to see some pics ...

dc

Don’t give up at 75😄

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The upkeep is already starting to sink in.

My son was talking to aboat detailer the other day and he is swamped because these people have no idea how to maintain a boat.

The market flood will come sooner than expected as the monthly payments and upkeep remain but the newness and fun begin to fade.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smilemaker said:

The upkeep is already starting to sink in.

My son was talking to aboat detailer the other day and he is swamped because these people have no idea how to maintain a boat.

The market flood will come sooner than expected as the monthly payments and upkeep remain but the newness and fun begin to fade.

I am starting to hear this more and more.   

On 6/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, whichwaysup said:

I am starting to hear this more and more.   

Agreed, but I am pessimistic if there will be many deals though...what's the likely hood that they own the boat debt free?  Unlikely I am guessing, meaning that they will owe something and less likely to sell it for less than they owe.  Nonetheless, this market is crazy. 

I'd like to be wrong and on the receiving end of a near new discounted Pathfinder!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compton said:

Agreed, but I am pessimistic if there will be many deals though...what's the likely hood that they own the boat debt free?  Unlikely I am guessing, meaning that they will owe something and less likely to sell it for less than they owe.  Nonetheless, this market is crazy. 

I'd like to be wrong and on the receiving end of a near new discounted Pathfinder!

Initially, I think you are probably right, but when the supply outweighs the demand for long enough and payments on a boat you dont use get old enough, deals happen.    But I agree that we are probably a year or two out from that.   

I do hate it for folks who get caught up in this cycle.    I am tightening my belt and getting ready for a crash but it seems everyone else is assuming it will go up forever.   I sure hope they are right!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...