Splash well/ bilge hatch leaking

Whiskeytrain

Replaced the old circular bilge hatch a couple years ago with the TH marine rectangular hatch, whenever I run the livewell, I noticed I had water in the bilge. Upon inspection, the water flowing out of the livewell and over the hatch is leaking through the seam of the hatch. It appears it is leaking from the hatch seam itself and not the outer edge that was sealed with 5200. Anyone have the issue with these hatches? Any good solutions? I thought about using a clear hose to go from the livewell overflow and out the back of the boat but would perfect something that can’t be seen. Maybe weatherproof strips or something. Thanks for any advice

D548E28F-DA0E-45E3-AF84-4592D81DDD75.jpeg

You may want to look at o ring on the hatch.  They deteriorate with heat and time.  You can take out the original and go to a your local true value store, they can make a new one for you.  If there isn’t one already there. You can take a piece of string, lay it around the inside diameter, measure and give the measurement to them and they will make one accordingly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Whiskeytrain said:

Any leaks since you’ve replaced it with weather stripping? I wonder if that would be better than using a small o-ring gasket

It's a constant battle. I go in that hatch a lot to get to strainers. Once the gasket gets some age it starts leaking again. The right o ring may be a better solution.

On 4/26/2021 at 3:44 PM, FINCHASER said:

Last boat I had with that style overflow drain, I put a plug in it..... never saw the need for why its even there

If you plug it and water is constantly flowing in, it has to drain somewhere... or is yours more like an aerator and adding air to the water?

On 5/5/2021 at 5:51 PM, FINCHASER said:

??  Livewell also had a standpipe drain.... maybe yours is different?

Mine is the same way. I figured the  water coming out that back drain hole was from the water going into that stand pipe drain. Maybe it would be better to just plug it 

12 hours ago, Whiskeytrain said:

Mine is the same way. I figured the  water coming out that back drain hole was from the water going into that stand pipe drain. Maybe it would be better to just plug it 

Water doesn't drain uphill

That drain out the back is only meant as emergency overflow to keep water off the deck.

Your stand pipe drains out the bottom of the boat.

They make a rubber plug that fits that over flow hole.