Port St Joe

Been fishing St Joe for about 20 yrs.  Took this past week off.  Fished with my son last Monday evening for a couple hours.  Lots of rain in the bay, lots of areas look like sweet tea.  Been windy as well.  Found some decent water on the Cape side, caught a few, including a 23" trout I let go.  Fished Tuesday alone.  Found some way up in the head of the bay in some deeper holes, even caught a few on my fly rod.  Fished again Wednesday alone.  We a nice treat being along and casting.  Caught some more, and ended up on the Cape side, about midway down.  Loaded with huge spanish, bluefish, etc.  A blast on the 8wt.  

Then it got really windy and nasty a few days.  Fished again yesterday for a couple hours, and caught 10 trout.  Only 2 keepers.  Had a great week despite blowing a hub on the way down.  Spent 3 1/2hrs in Dothan, AL tracking down the hubs, etc.  Then had paid to have a new hydraulic steering pump under the helm, and had a new steering ram installed on the new F150sho last sept.  yep, Now, steering lines leaking.  Bled the system to use it yesterday.  Back in the shop tomorrow.  

The boat is a 1996 MA 18.  Love it, its just bringing it back up to snuff that has been "challenging"...Got more invested in this baby than I will ever get out of it.  Good thing I have NO interest in selling her.  I did add sea dek to the floor in Sept and it is a game changer.

• Like 1

I live on St George Island and fish Apalachicola Bay from Indian Pass to Alligator Harbor many times a week.

Last summer we had the good  trout fishing when historically it’s slow.  But we had a lousy fall and this spring has been worse.  Guides are struggling catching fish for their clients.

We’ve had more windy day this spring than normal, but catching trout on nice days has been tough.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you guys, trout and reds have been very slow start this year compared to last few. I fish mostly Dog Island to Turkey Point and its been tuff catch’n. 

I’ll keep patchin’ the ole ‘93MA every year, a lot cheaper than a new one. Got all new wiring,switches,elec trim tabs , ect this past fall. Still fishes like a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.  Fished St Joe this past Thursday, 5/13-5/15.  Super windy while I was there.  Rough trout fishing.  Caught maybe 12-15 trout each day, but, had to work for them, and only 1-2 each day were keeper size.  Did come across a massive school of Black drum in 2-ft of water.  Caught 3.  Each was right at 33", and I would guess, easily 30lb each.  Fun on 10lb braid.  There are really big spanish in the bay, if you can find them.  Bay water is clearing up, and water temp is on the rise, just relentless wind.

Never threw the flyrod.  Used the spinners.

• 2 weeks later...

Still been fishing in the bay last couple weekends. Caught some trout around blacks island last weekend. Only a few keepers. Fished a couple days ago and found some decent trout on the cape side. All were keepers. Caught some on the fly rod. Caught some huge hard tails and skip jacks on the fly rod as well. 

• 2 months later...

Fished 2 days ago...but only a few hours and much later in the day...from around 4pm-730pm or so...Miserably hot.  Only threw the fly rod.  Caught a few ladyfish, some nice blue fish, lost 2 trout and caught 1 trout.  Undersized.  Did I mention it was hot?

Slower day, but, on the water anyway....