I had my friend of 50+ years, Captain Tom Ross and his lovely wife Ann on the skiff yesterday out of Chokoloskee. They are becoming part-time residents of Everglades City so I'm happy that I will get to see them more often. We launched at OR around 0700 and ran the Turner River into the backcountry. Tom was amazed how shallow the skiff runs (low tide was around 0730, and it was really low!). Ann brought a nice red to the boat on her 2nd cast of the day and it was game on! We had reds, snook, trout, snapper, jacks and a few chunky grouper. Interestingly, the best fishing occurred once again during the day's major period, from 9:51 a.m. to 11:51 a.m. Water temps have dropped about 10 degrees compared to the temp's about two weeks ago. We ran back in via the Lopez River--good thing as there was a bad crash at the mouth of the Turner with one of the two boats involved flipped over in the water. Thankfully, no one died and although fire and rescue were at the marina (along with about 5 ENP service trucks and boats and Sea Tow), it did not appear that there were any serious injuries. 

Here are a few pic's from the day. Be a hero--take an old fart fishing! 

EFD61E1E-7549-440F-BD38-29D7342B78B3.jpg

IMG_4160.jpeg

7B9CF083-A1AB-48C3-883F-D0524EE78C3E.jpg

IMG_4176.jpeg

D1BCE10B-E25B-41A9-B0FA-6295F89A25C7.jpg

• Like 1

I"ve seen way too many skiffs at WOT running the turns....I never run them fast...you should be running them at just above plane speed to allow you to take evasive action if required.......

Glad no one was hurt.....when you say the mouth of the Turner.....more towards Chokoloskee or  off the ENP waterway in the back where it starts?

DC

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I"ve seen way too many skiffs at WOT running the turns....I never run them fast...you should be running them at just above plane speed to allow you to take evasive action if required.......

Glad no one was hurt.....when you say the mouth of the Turner.....more towards Chokoloskee or  off the ENP waterway in the back where it starts?

DC

Just across from OR, where the channel marker is (and the oyster bars!).  

I understand it was Captain Brandon Acosta.  The other boat was an older Hewes.  The captain in the Hewes may have been in the wrong. Captain Brandon told a friend of mine that the Hewes ran right over his bow causing him to roll over. Brandon got some cuts from oysters and his dad is complaining about back pains. Another one of our friends was able to right the boat last night and get it on the trailer. Lost all his fly rods and other gear. He was on his way yesterday afternoon to go see if he can find anything else.

4B924356-880D-40ED-B67A-4434C5294BC4.jpeg