Prop discussion- 20ft pathy

FINCHASER

I need to re prop, currently running the power tech SCE in 19" pitch. 1 thing for certain I need to change with the next prop is to gear it for running with a load. Current prop is excellent for light load but with 3 guys, gear and livewell its slightly sluggish especially in a good chop. current max RPM (light load) is 5600 and would like to see that around 6k.

Curious what others have run on these boats and how they performed.

Right now Im considering staying with the same prop and drop in pitch or same prop in 3 blade config. I spend the majority of my running time offshore in conditions that I cant run wide open usually always adjusting the throttle due to sea conditions.

So Id appreciate any specific info on what you think I should do or your experiences propping this hull

I need to re prop, currently running the power tech SCE in 19" pitch. 1 thing for certain I need to change with the next prop is to gear it for running with a load. Current prop is excellent for light load but with 3 guys, gear and livewell its slightly sluggish especially in a good chop [color:red]4 blade will offer much better holeshot as well as carrys a load much better.[/color]. current max RPM (light load) is 5600 and would like to see that around 6k.

Curious what others have run on these boats and how they performed.

Right now Im considering staying with the same prop and drop in pitch or same prop in 3 blade config. I spend the majority of my running time offshore in conditions that I cant run wide open usually always adjusting the throttle due to sea conditions.

So Id appreciate any specific info on what you think I should do or your experiences propping this hull

See above. A 4 blade will not only get the boat on plane faster, but holds a load better. Another plus is the handling of the boat is better and you can run on plane slower (great if choppy). It also offers better cornering and if you have a jack plate it has much better grip. If you are okay with most likely losing 1 mph or 2 and maybe a tad worse mpg, then a 4 blade is almost always the better choice for all around performance.

I got lucky and it so happens a 4 blade is fastest on my boat. I can do the tight turns to get on plane with the plate all the way up and tabs down and barely lose any grip.

Here is a short video of me running a 4 blade, i know its a bit difficult since there is no 3 blade comparison. But pay attention to the 30 second mark through the short video where i run on plane with the boat level, tabs down and jack plate fully raised, at 15 mph!! With a 3 blade i couldnt even get close to that speed on plane

The 4 blade allows for a lot better grip in a sloppy chop, and lets you run slower so you wont pound as bad

Now I am sure once you contact Marcus he will put you in prop nirvana. Have you thought about having your current prop tweaked? I would think a SCE would be a good choice to carry a load, just have to get those RPMs up some.

I ran the SCE's little brother the SCD on a hull you might be familiar with, 97 Bayfisher. I had it worked down a inch in pitch with some cup added. It was a night and day difference. The prop carried the hull much better and could not loose grip no matter what I did.

Ran two props on my PF 20, a SCD 19 four blade and a Solas three blade. The Solas would hit the rev limiter, a little over 50 mph. That was with two guys fully loaded. Got a little squirrelly. A little better hole shot and grip with the four blade. As I recall it would turn about 5500 rpm.

Everything considered I could have saved over $400 and stuck with the three blade. Didn't do much in blue water.

dh

Now I am sure once you contact Marcus he will put you in prop nirvana. Have you thought about having your current prop tweaked? I would think a SCE would be a good choice to carry a load, just have to get those RPMs up some.

I ran the SCE's little brother the SCD on a hull you might be familiar with, 97 Bayfisher. I had it worked down a inch in pitch with some cup added. It was a night and day difference. The prop carried the hull much better and could not loose grip no matter what I did.

I have considered re working the current one... just not sure whats possible and if they can get it to where I want it. Plus it just seems like sacriledge to go beating on such a pretty piece of metal!

Thanks for all the input guys. The way Im using the boat Im not sure Id see a huge propensity to porpoise as Im always needing to run some tab.... not super common to see it flat enough to run with no tabs and hit the throttle. Not that I am leaning toward 3 blade but would be nice to see exactly how it would run with one.

Generally speaking, Fin, we had our best 2000V successes with 4-blades. The grip and control were just hard to beat, and in the case of the SCE, the speed was hard to beat, as well. The original test non-jackplated rig for us was runnin' 52.9 mph and a 3.2 sec holeshot with an F150 and an SCE4R19PCLY200, ported 5/16". That ain't bad.

When a jackplate is added, we have to move to a more aggressive wheel that can handle motor elevation, which inevitably costs pitch and a bit of speed. Like a jackplated 2200V/F150, a jackplated 2000v/F150 would run an OFX4R17PCLYX200, ported 3/8".

Hope that helps, gang!!!

Sorry to do, yet, another post-by, but things are hot'n'heavy today!!! Gotta fly.

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :cool:

Archived