Off Topic But...

Nag Juice

You guys alway give good advice.

GMC screwed up with their headlight design from 2007-2014. I'm changing headlight bulbs every six months and in order to do that, I have to remove the grill and inner fenders. WTF Right?! Have any of you converted to LEDs? If so, what brand last the longest? Thanks in advance.

I run 5k or 6k HiDs on pretty much anything. I even run them on my ATV which is fully snorkeled and loves deep water. My 7.3 Ford has had the same sets in the fog lamps and headlights for 8 plus years. The only thing I run LED on is my golf carts, but they are not as bright as HiD at least for me.

From the little that I have read on the LED headlight thing is it is still better to go HID for the headlights. It is better to get a good HID kit installed than to go cheap. I think the LED issue with headlights is getting them to project out like HIDs can. When I was reading on the subject, I think it was around 250ish for a good HID projector kit. For parking lights I would definitely go LED though.

Led technology has come a long way and is way better than HIDs. I guess that's all subjective, but HID is old technology compared to LED. Just look a all the major/luxury car manufactures most are going to LEDs.

The biggest issue is heat. Not for the headlight housing, but the computer board for the LED getting hot. Most will have fans built in to cool the boards and overcut protection built in.

Archived