2600HPS Anchor Size

baychamp

What type of anchoring setup do the 26HPS owners use that actually fits in the locker?  The largest anchor I can find seems to be a 10lb which seems light even w 10’ of chain.   I will use it prob in 10-15 knots on barrier islands, overnights and on the occasional hard bottoms in 15-20’ of water.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

You might want to checkout a Danforth Hi Tensile

Let me second that suggestion from Bamaskeet.  I've been using a 5 lb Danforth Hi-Tensile anchor for over 10 years on the 2000V Pathfinder and the current 2200 TRS.  6 foot of chain and this thing has never not held the boat, even in storm conditions (don't ask).  It fits in the locker but can slide off the groove make to hold the stocks.  I simply added 2 SS screws to keep it from sliding one way or the other...

Anchor.thumb.JPG.02d5dff06a701a06444feb2edf66f255.JPG

In rough going, it can bounce up and out of the grooves, so I added a couple of hasps to keep it down...

IMG_2541.thumb.jpg.caee5ab354b2da9d13132baffa2b1fec.jpg

They also make a 12 H but I think that would be overkill for your size boat.

The Danforth holds incredibly well in sand, mud, etc.  Its only problem is with a very grassy bottom where the anchor tends to quickly gather a ball of grass as you back down and if the ball gets big enough to engulf the flukes, it will not dig in.

Oh, and they are manufactured right here in Atlanta, if "American Made" is important to you, as it should be.

I learned early on anchoring in 30 to 90' that theres no substitute for having enough chain and scope.  Bottom composition and wind / waves will affect what youre going to need to run.  Id carry extra chain sections that can be linked together in case its needed and xtra rope is a good idea as well.  I liked the seaclaw anchor over the danforth but Im sure itll get the job done regardless.  Sounds like you may need more than one type of anchor given your hard bottom statement

I'm pretty sure i have a 12 lb danforth on my 26 HPS but you have to pack it in just right otherwise it wont sit correctly.  I have to put the anchor in and then slide the chain in after the anchor is already in.  I also have 12 foot of LARGE chain but i'm in MS and use the anchor for anchoring on shell bottom if wade fishing.  most of the time I just use the Ipilot or power pole though and dont use the anchor too frequently.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:01 AM, FINCHASER said:

I learned early on anchoring in 30 to 90' that theres no substitute for having enough chain and scope.  Bottom composition and wind / waves will affect what youre going to need to run.  Id carry extra chain sections that can be linked together in case its needed and xtra rope is a good idea as well.  I liked the seaclaw anchor over the danforth but Im sure itll get the job done regardless.  Sounds like you may need more than one type of anchor given your hard bottom statement

Spot on with carrying extra footage of chain and rode. I do just in case. 😀👍

• Like 1