Red Tide in Tampa Bay

Sad day yesterday on the water.  Launched out of American Legion 138 in Old Tampa Bay.  Just south of highway 92 (Gandy bridge).  Noticed a few dead fish, mostly cats and a couple of pinfish.

Ran over to Weedon Island and while crossing the bay saw a bunch of dead fish, thousands!  Once at Weedon it smelled and there were dead fish everywhere.

Ran around MacDill AFB and again, scores of dead fish everywhere, thousands of 'em.  Tried to fish in Hillsborough Bay and finally called it quits, again thousands of dead fish.

I've lived on Davis Islands for the past 21 years and have never seen a fish kill around me.  Yesterday was by far, the worst I've seen anywhere.

Very sad!

• Sad 1

And yet every single person moaning and groaning about this will continue to vote for the same people who allow it to happen. CCA, Captains for Clean Water, Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, etc, - they all put the same people into office, election after election. Who’s in control in the Governor’s Office, Florida Senate and Florida House for the past 20 years? Right.

• 2 weeks later...

went for a walk on Siesta Key beach two nights ago about 2am before any cleanup begins...counted no less than 10 huge gags washed up, one smallish bull shark and more smaller trout than I could count...all of this in less than maybe 300 yards of beach. Water was foaming like a mad dog. This is rediculous

On 7/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, pondfisher said:

And yet every single person moaning and groaning about this will continue to vote for the same people who allow it to happen. CCA, Captains for Clean Water, Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, etc, - they all put the same people into office, election after election. Who’s in control in the Governor’s Office, Florida Senate and Florida House for the past 20 years? Right.

So how do groups that have less than 100k members total between them all “put the same people into office.”  As a CCA member I can say they are very involved in all aspects of habitat restoration and working with various agencies within the government, both State and Federal.  Do I agree with everything they do, no, but I do not think any other organization has done more for Florida waters.  As for the current government , specifically the current Governor, I can’t say that anyone has done more for Florida waters than Desantis.  

Red tide has been around since at least the 1700’s. The issues in South Florida began in the 1920’s. Our issues did happen overnight and will not be fixed overnight. It would be far more productive to get involved with one of these groups than pointing a finger that they contribute to the cause.

I do not live on the west coast but my Grandmother grew up on Tampa Bay. She had some awesome fish tales I miss. Seems that these "fertilizer manufacturer facility's" have been on the shores of or very close to the Bay for a very long time. Makes me say Hummmm. Could this kind of industry have something to do with some Red Tide or Red Tide getting much worse in the Bay over the last 75 or so years. Could it have "nothing" to do with it at all.....

I have to wonder why Florida's Top University's are spending millions on studying how to breed heat resistant cows (they are white and have less shoulder hair) and create heat resistant Wheat because of their concern about global warming and not a cent on the health of Tampa Bay and what might or might not be contributing to the failing water quality.  

Something to think about, the Red Tide does not ever seem, so far, to be a huge problem farther south where industry stops, And Yes I Know It is a Naturally Occurring Organism. I also believe it can be helped along by out side influence.  

Know any young people that are needing something to base their Masters Degree Thesis on !!!

Just a thought,  Looks like DEP is trying the lawsuit approach.

I was told that one property has been tied up in lawsuits for years, I can not say if that is true or not.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/special-reports/wastewater-emergency/florida-department-of-environmental-protection-lawsuit-piney-point/67-01370943-3e11-4ba5-b4ae-0010cfe0260b