Prop chatter

Michael Smith

What prop are you running ?

Prop Chatter is usually caused by a prop with an insert to fit various outboard brands.. There are several, but the Flo-torq II inserts have been the more common ones.

If you don’t have a prop with a ‘hard plastic’ insert, a heavy stainless prop can sorta bounce in the gears as the cylinders fire at low rpms, making the rattle sounds.

To solve the chatter, you can purchase a Yamaha SDS prop, get a Flo-Torq IV hub with cushions, or go to a suitable aluminum prop.  Until then, just bump up the throttle till the chatter stops.. unless you are docking or moving around other boats..

MM

As Mod Mark said, if you have the changeable insert/sleeve, you can change those out with a cushion type. I had chatter on one my my Mercury props that annoyed the heck out of me in no wake zones. I went to the below listed hub a few years back and it eliminated my problem. Outside of that, I love the design and built in forgiveness of this particular hub set up. If it's an option for you, I highly recommend them. 

RBX (RUBEX Hub Kit) (solaspropellers.com)