Hewes 21 Redfisher restoration.

Josh B

Many years ago I had my heart set on finding a 21 Maverick MA. I looked and looked when I came across a 21 Redfisher that I could not turn down. I ended up buying that boat from a member here and absolutely loved it. I knew I might regret letting her go. She now belongs to another forum member here @mulligan and I moved into a 23 HPS. Well as luck would have it, I ended up finding this 2003 Carbon/Kevlar edition 21 Redfisher that needed some love. I have seen plenty of Carbon/Kevlar Mavericks over the years, but don't think I've ever seen a Carbon/Kevlar Redfisher. 

I decided to take a chance with the boat. I knew going into the project I probably wouldn't save any money, but the idea of building the boat out the way I want it from the bottom up was appealing to me. I'm very much a DIY guy and plan to do most everything myself. The biggest obstacle for me is finding time with a full time job & two kids at home under 5 years old. Thankfully I do have a nice garage, an experienced father to help and understanding neighbors who enjoy the sound of a grinder at 10pm! ha ha 

Anyways, I'm just in the beginning stages and wanted to start this thread to see if there was any ideas, tips, pointers that others could contribute with. I've already made a good amount of equipment purchases, but still have quite a bit more to buy. From my years in my previous 21 RF I know from the start that I want to modify the console & seating arrangements to get me slightly more elevated. My lower back is not a fan of sitting with my keester below my knees. I'm still at the drawing board, but considering either modifying the existing console to be slightly taller or if I should find another manufacturer console that might better suite my needs. I live in Southwest Florida where there's a boat builder every few miles, so there's often some good opportunity to find parts. I also want to be able to flush mount a 12" screen on the dash which will require extending the dash surface if I decide to use the stock console. I have plenty of ideas, but nothing in stone at this point. 

I've found a ton of useful information here on this forum & THT over the years and glad to have the insight of anyone who's been through the process before. I know @whichwaysup rebuild thread was helpful as well as @DC just did a resto job as well. My goal when it's finished is to have a beautiful, sleek, one of a kind 21 Redfisher. Plenty more to come, I'll update as I go along. Wish me luck. I added a picture of my parts List, green I've already purchased... red I still need if anyone has stuff laying around they need to get rid of.

I'll add a few pictures of the boat as she sits now and update as I go along.

Josh B.

IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mulligan said:

Congrats on the second addition! And the boat too.

It looks like a fun project and looking forward to how it turns out. 

Thanks dude! Second one is just about to turn 1 years old next week... They are a blessing, but they sure do demand a lot of attention! ha ha (almost as much as the wife)

image.png.6336a83932793c75b2bc5eaa28282f7e.png

• Like 4

Wow, that could be a fun project and the boat itself looks to be in really good shape.  I don't see the 'parts list' so curious what power you're putting behind it and are you going with the platform or leaving it off?

For seats, I also don't like the low bench so I have 3 seats mounted on top of the folded seat back.  Much more comfortable and puts you at a good height.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:27 PM, Nauti said:

Wow, that could be a fun project and the boat itself looks to be in really good shape.  I don't see the 'parts list' so curious what power you're putting behind it and are you going with the platform or leaving it off?

For seats, I also don't like the low bench so I have 3 seats mounted on top of the folded seat back.  Much more comfortable and puts you at a good height.

Sorry about that... somehow missed uploading the list. Here it is.

But I picked up a Yamaha 250 SHO. Only 288 hours on it and still under warranty for a very decent price (considering todays market). 

I'm not planning to install a poling platform, but will most likely make a removable platform for the front deck. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josh B said:

But I picked up a Yamaha 250 SHO. Only 288 hours on it and still under warranty for a very decent price (considering todays market)

I can't wait to see how this turns out! Not to mention, it will be a 75 mph rocket ship when it's done, and that's with a 4 blade! 

I'll try to get caught up with the current progress.

After I got her home I started stripping down what was left. Removing any hoses, fittings, screws, mounts, etc. I wanted to make sure that any less than desirable mounts, screw holes, thru hulls, etc. were all repaired or reinforced while the supplies were on hand. 

After that I started on the grinding. I needed to get all of the gelcoat removed from the bilge so I could make sure there were no unseen damages lying below the surface. I also had to cut out some of the plastic liners to get access to the stringer and bulkhead. I hated to do this, but laying upside down in the hatch below the seat i could just barely reach the areas and I knew it had to be done. I should be able to repair those afterwards where it won't be too obvious. 

Anyways, I got the bilge sanded down and started grinding out the damaged areas of glass on the interior of the hull. I discovered a crack in the port side stringer as well as a crack in the port side of the rear bulkhead. Both areas were ground out, filled with epoxy/cabosil thickened resin and then glassed over with 1708 biaxle cloth. I laid 4-5 layers on each stringer, bulkhead as well as 4 layers covering the entire hull bottom and tabbed up onto each side. That epoxy based resin flowed great and is supposed to be the best product for strength and structural repairs. 

After a few days I'll come back and sand that down to apply a nice epoxy based bilge paint. The next step is to flip the boat over and start working on the bottom. While the majority of the boat hull is in great shape, there are quite a few chips, scratches, dings and some other minor cracks that need addressed. Originally I wasn't planning to paint the entire hull, I was just going to repair the damaged areas... but now I'm all-in and decided I might as well make this thing a show pony. So I'm going to sand the entire hull, repair any damaged areas and start sanding. 

It's like an infection and once you start doing a little work it just snowballs on you. I decided if I'm going to paint the hull, I might as well paint the motor to match.... right??? ha ha There were some scratches on the cowling and midsection of this used motor I bought. So I am sanding it all down as well. 

Still a lot of work to do, but I'm getting excited about the finished product. More updates later in the week. 

Josh B.

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

On 7/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, Josh B said:

Wish me luck. I added a picture of my parts List, green I've already purchased... red I still need if anyone has stuff laying around they need to get rid of.

BTW, 

GET ANYTHING YOU NEED ASAP...EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO NEED IT 2-3 MONTHS FROM NOW....THE WORLD SUPPLY CHAIN, ESPECIALLY THE MARINE SPECIALITY IS GOING NUTS....

As an example, my mechanic, John @ Maximum, told me he can't obtain impeller kits, and when we needed two sensors for the Ghost's heads, the Yamaha warehouse is telling them they are delayed.....days and sometimes weeks.

I spoke with him, put in an order with SIM Yamaha and had them FEDEX'd to his shop.....can't ask more from a mechanic...he told me it's getting worse every day to get parts.

dc

• Like 1

We got her flipped over last night and I see lots of grinding and sanding in my future. 

If you've ever wondered what happens when you hit a submerged piling at 40-50 mph... here ya go!  Fortunately it didn't go all the way through, but man was it thin. Only a couple layers of glass were left intact. After laying 5 layers of 1708 biaxle cloth with the epoxy resin on the inside it's very solid already. Of course I'll be cutting out all the damaged areas and will extend the repairs a good 18 inches in each direction so I can bond to good structured glass. 

Going over the entire hull there's quite a few spots where it would just appear to be a small chip in the gelcoat, but once I picked at it a little they would open up to reveal voids between the layers of glass. I've seen this plenty of times over the years and unfortunately I think it's just the downside to production boats. In the mold from the factory they spray gelcoat first, then chopped strand and then the woven cloth. The workers just don't take the time to make sure they are getting the glass all the way into the corners like they should. So i'll use the die grinder and get all those voids exposed before repairing. In addition there are plenty of other chips, dings, scratches and some prior gelcoat surface repairs that need to be addressed.

Once everything is ground out and sanded down I'll start laying some fiberglass. Then sand & fair everything out straight, sand, prime and repeat. It's a lot of work, but in the end she will be stronger than she was new. 

My very expensive 2 part AlexSeal paint, primer, etc. showed up yesterday as well... how exciting. 

Josh B.

IMG_20210727_095411057_Original.thumb.jpg.8cc3e6fd0bb5509a86240f201aa21c95.jpg

IMG_20210727_095423979_Original.thumb.jpg.f91eb4c2fe2f56a8ebf27db39b1e0030.jpg

IMG_3155.thumb.jpg.3fab4988c531549b1c5eb938e9155fec.jpg

IMG_3157.thumb.jpg.685ae007ae7377b70bff1bb504684ba5.jpg

IMG_3156.thumb.jpg.79ee1fba793ec0481d53a9c4707f6460.jpg

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.b0deef34f8692a184115624edcd01346.jpg

64911612452__6DE5F0C0-1FE8-472B-B62E-A9D5B4506C5B.thumb.jpg.1b0d80b566147557c7cfc4634994b6d4.jpg

• Like 2