Hewes 21 Redfisher restoration.

Josh B

6 hours ago, Josh B said:

I just ordered the GatorBak for my trailer... man it's not cheap, but hoping it's a worthwhile investment to protect the paintjob. 

Josh B.

I think you will be pleased. Do not back down the ramp without the winch strap tight. I spray my bunks with cheap Silicon spray every couple of months, but It is not necessary. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Any updates Josh ?  

dc

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town last weekend doing a camping trip with the family. My parents joined and my dad complained that while we were "sitting around doing nothing he'd rather be sanding on the boat"... ha ha

Well we got a few days to work this week and made some major progress. 

Several days in a row of sanding. First sanded down the high build primer and sprayed 3 coats of the finish primer. The we started the block sanding by hand and found some areas that weren't straight. Had to end up going back and applying more fairing compound, sanding, another few coats of finish primer and sanding again. It still wasn't perfect, but good enough for who it's for. 

I got up early this morning and got out of the house before the women woke up, so I was over at my dads garage and prepping the boat for paint. It took a good hour to mask it off and wipe the whole boat down using the two rag method to remove any contaminants. My dad has a good 50 years of spraying experience on me, so I was more than happy to let him spray when he asked. We ended up spraying 3 coats of the AlexSeal Super Jet Black 501 topcoat and let that setup for 2 hours and went to lunch. Afterwards we sprayed 2 coats of Clear Coat. It's not perfect and I that gloss black will show every single imperfection. My dad mentioned letting the black fully cure and sanding the whole boat again in a day or two before spraying the clear coat. In his mind it needs to look like a show winning classic car, but I told him it's a boat and it's plenty good enough... let's spray the clear. 

The pictures and videos look really good, but there are some spots you can see in person that bothered him. One of the downsides to being a perfectionist I suppose. Anyways, it looks great and I can't wait to get back over working on it. We'll probably wetsand the whole boat and buff/wax it after it cures for a few days. The next steps are getting the motor painted and I'm in the process of working on the console as well. I'm modifying the original console to accommodate a large screen flush mounted and also add a couple other changes I'd like. 

I have a handful of projects I'm working on a little at a time, so I'll try to keep posting updates as I make progress on them.

Josh B.

IMG_3409.thumb.jpg.f755344b8646b97d9505b5fa98da3d17.jpg

IMG_3410.thumb.jpg.ed1a42596aa52e7dfa440c9df804f323.jpg

IMG_3453.thumb.jpg.7c1a9d887910254f3cee5439aa752b45.jpg

IMG_3454.thumb.jpg.78b60eb0dd722ed3ce10804c71bf62f2.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

Didn't see it mentioned, but painting the SHO black to match I assume?

Yes, motor is getting painted top to bottom the same black/clear. Still trying to decide on decals. Definitely not doing the factory decals. Had thought of painting them on, but then thought if I didn't like it I couldn't change them... so we'll go with the decals. Two options in mind... one is to do a raised gloss black letters with chrome outline. Other idea is to do matte black letters so you can see them up close, but from a distance it's all black. TBD. 

Josh B.

48 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

That is just some incredible workmanship.  I think black chrome raised lettering would look awesome!!!   It wouldn't be popping from distance but, it would just set it off when your closer.....looks unbelievable JoshB 

I found some I really like... black chrome, gloss black with chrome outline, etc. 

The major issue is that the registration numbers on the boat are supposed to contrast the hull color. I know @linesider 159 has tangled with this and run the risk of dealing with the lawman. Did you ever have any issues? 

I would like to have the motor decals and hull decals match... custom made Hewes logo & FL numbers. While i'd be okay taking the risk of paying a ticket, I am not really okay with taking the risk of throwing away expensive decals if it got to the point I had to remove them. 

So the other option is to do a chrome over black... or even chrome over white. Or I could have motor & hewes logo the same in black/chrome but the registration numbers just solid chrome. Why does the Law-Man have to ruin my mojo. 

Josh B.

Metalic Black over Chrome

metalic-black-over-chrome.JPG.797ee04d7a98e35e96bd1c7542569145.JPG

Steel over black (could do black over steel)

steel-over-black-chrome.JPG.3caa22e97dacf1d109ee3b48fa765a32.JPG

Black over White (not that font... puke)

black-over-white.JPG.ab0b5d3abc49adb0239d71a5100d8e0a.JPG

Chrome over Black 

chrome-over-black.JPG.0b648018830975a5e0f633ebb927ae82.JPG

All Chrome

all-chrome.JPG.0bcb760350c4ca595d71dd4e7204a523.JPG

I like the metallic black over chrome.  I do not like the chrome over white as it would be too much of a contrast.  Straight chrome I would not do either.  I think I know what you're going after from an astetics look and I agree with it.  It will look awesome.  With the metallic black over chrome you will be able to see the lettering from a distance because of the chrome outline and it will contrast just enough.  I think that will give you you're best option for what you're going for.  Man I can't wait to see this thing completed...

What motor are you having off the back?  A Yamaha?

13 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

I like the metallic black over chrome.  I do not like the chrome over white as it would be too much of a contrast.  Straight chrome I would not do either.  I think I know what you're going after from an astetics look and I agree with it.  It will look awesome.  With the metallic black over chrome you will be able to see the lettering from a distance because of the chrome outline and it will contrast just enough.  I think that will give you you're best option for what you're going for.  Man I can't wait to see this thing completed...

I agree 100%, just hoping i don't get harrassed by the local FWC that hang out at the ramp. I'd hate to spend $300 on decals and then have to redo them. But I'll pay a ticket once a year if that's all it takes. 

I love the "all blacked out" look... however, I'm not going to go all black on the topside. It's just too much work & effort to get every single piece/part/accessory in black. So i'm staying with white on the topside. So the "blacked out" look isn't as detrimental to the overall package as it would be if I was doing dark gray or black on the topside. 

I picked up a used 2015 Yamaha 250 SHO. I've got it all sanded down and ready for paint, so planning to do that Saturday morning. It has 280 hours and still under warranty through November, so i'll run it a few times to make sure she's solid before I install the Nizpro ECU flash. 

Josh B.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

I agree. The chrome outline will provide the contrast. My FL's are all raised chrome on a dark gray hull. The CG Aux. at a local ramp tried to give me grief, until I pointed out the law, which states the numbers must contrast in color of the hull. The end.  

This thing is already too bad A!!! Looking forward to more! 

• Like 2

Never been given grief for my registration numbers. All it takes is a gray outline and they pop pretty good, even in low light. The first photo is letter that fade from black to chrome (not as visible but still pretty good), and the 2nd is dark gray outlined letters where the black hull shines through (these were my favorite). Both are visible in daylight. Shoot, my last boat I ran for 6 months without registration numbers actually put on. 

The raised chrome lettering just never did it for me on registration numbers, always looked cheap IMO. I like the black over white you posted, which you could easily change font and make it black over gray. 

Also, have a friend running the Nizpro flashed 250 SHO on a 21 pathfinder fusion, best we saw light was 74.6 with a 26.5 bravo fs. I think it had more but needed a little bigger prop

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Instagram_IMG_20190317_124655_327.JPG

IMG_4105.jpg

• Like 1

The Yamaha 250 SHO got a new paint job yesterday... she looks amazing in all gloss black. I forgot to take pictures, but will get some when she get's put all back together. Let me tell you that painting an outboard is a seriously tedious process. Trying to sand in every little nook & cranny is a nightmare. Then trying to spray and get good coverage in all those tight areas without getting it too heavy on the surrounding areas is a real chore. But it looks great. I use Photoshop to get a good idea of how it will look. I think it's pretty slick. 

All_Black_Motor.thumb.jpg.4fe10c8882b4af8e796ae204a943d4a9.jpg

We're hoping to get the boat flipped back over and mount the jackplate/motor this weekend. 

Next step, that i've been working on a little is the console. I'm really at a crossroads where I have to decide about my seating. The console design and height will determine what kind of seats and positioning to some degree.

More updates coming as I get them.

Josh B.

Don’t really want to sound like my cousin from Boston….but that black on black looks wicked cool!!!

From a former RF21 owner that is great job you’re doing with that boat. I miss mine but needed something I can comfortably stick in a garage if not I would have held on to her.

• Like 1