Am I crazy? 1995 bayfisher repower

I have a 1995 16ft bayfisher. Original Yamaha 85. Hull is in great shape all original. I paid $5500 for it about 10 years ago. The engine runs great but the shift shaft worn out and is twisted. Now it can’t find a gear. To replace the shaft the power head has to be removed. I decided I would pull the motor. Repower and add hydraulic steering. I start adding up what it’s going to take to repower and it’s right about 13k with new steering ect. That is (Mercury 115xs) 40 weeks out, the new tohatsu 115 I can get now, Suzuki 90.  I can’t find a good deal on a late model used motor. It seems people don’t take off good motors. The question is Am I crazy putting that much money in this 1995 hull? I have the motor off I am considering fixing and reinstalling. The other reason for repower is reliability. I want to be able to trailer this boat anywhere and not have issues. I also have an 8 year old boy that’s crazy about fishing that will someday soon be his boat. B3D90174-7692-4636-A3D7-1C0FB6DB9A01.thumb.jpeg.13d4766b4c8e01cc5ab7c59eff7991b2.jpeg

09C94CED-E41C-4128-A40B-148C6DA188BB.jpeg

B8E0BD21-AAC6-43D7-A5C3-FEE220244116.jpeg

1 hour ago, Beachredfisher said:

The question is Am I crazy

Yes, you are a boat owner!

1 hour ago, Beachredfisher said:

the new tohatsu 115 I can get now,

Great motor, very underrated in the states, has been a work horse in Asia and Europe for many years.

Re-Power and get the boat where you want it and use it until that boy is old enough and he can do a re-power after that!

Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beachredfisher said:

have a 1995 16ft bayfisher. Original Yamaha 85.

I would fix it up, even if it's $3-5 for repairs.....the Yamaha's are pretty solid and you should get many more years of use...

I have a 1995 2 Stroke V115...I plan on doing whatever I have to do to keep it alive for the next 10 years.....

dc

Fix and fish 🤙

In this market I doubt you will find what you what that's usable for whet you will have in the repower and refit. Those Tohatsu's bear a VERY hard look. For years...maybe still...Honda made them for them. Folks on other forums rave about them.  

These older lappy Hewes are classics. Go check out the vintage Hewes section and see how many of us refurb and repower them. Were all crazy for a reason.

Since you don't even have that much into the boat, you can even repower and possibly get all your money back IF you choose to sell down the line. 

These older boats have character. You'll regret whenever the day comes to sell. 

Tohatsu aren't the same old, small motor company anymore...some info you might not know " all Nissan outboard engines sold in North America were Tohatsus with a Nissan decal....In 2011, Tohatsu and Evinrude made a deal to make smaller engines ranging from 15 HP and down with Evinrude decals"

They are pushing out more into the market for bigger boats and from what I've read, they are solid, reliable and powerful...I'm looking at them for a repower for my 94 MA17

• Thanks 1