Cobia 217 Pump Access

Can someone tell me what Cobia had in mind for maintaining the livewell and washdown pumps in a 2013 217cc?  There is no way a normal-sized human can access them.  I'm thinking of installing an access hatch in the rear of the boat for access to both pumps.  Does anyone have any experience on this problem?

Marine mechanics are well paid cuz they do this all the time.  We refer to it as having a spider monkey assist with pump change outs.
This gear needs to be in the bottom of the hull. There is seldom easy access because of the liners and features built into the rear decks of boats. 

I will tell you that many owners measure the room they have in the engine well or bottom of a storage locker.. Then buy a screw down sealed access hatch.. Cut out the glass carefully and install the hatch. There are some cheap assemblies, and others that are  much better.

Post some photos of your situation and see what the guru’s have to suggest !

Mod Marc

This issue is not only about maintenance.  The lack of access prevents closing of the seacock if there is a leak.  I have since installed a hatch, replaced both pumps, and exercised and lubed the seacock.  I'm good, but it could be a potential liability issue with Cobia.

I understand what you’re saying. Generally, the sea chest and bronze inlet valves are the strongest section of the hull.  There are always compromises when designing boats for form, function and fashion. Maverick Boat Group provides this forum so that owners can share ideas and information to make their boats  better for their applications and needs.  It is best for an owner to know their boat when they buy it, and make the changes that suit them best. 
Everybody’s goal is to have fun on the water in the best boat for their needs. 
Just so you know, I think the 217 Cobia is the sexiest looking small CC on the water. A safe boat with easy access looks like a 13’ BWhaler or CSkiff with a 15 hp tiller.  I didn’t get one of those, I got a boat that was fast and handsome.  I learned the boat so I could enjoy it. There are things that get to be a PITA to deal with but I ask for advice and get surprised with the great ideas to make it easier/better.

Drag your Cobia down to the Keys for the Owner’s Tournament in September. I need someone to run offshore with for Dolphin and Tunas ! I’d be happy to help you get fish blood all over your boat. 
Mod Marc

51B69EC0-28FE-4B2A-A3E6-3EEAB10D6E15.png